News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Stream in Western NC

Started by troutphisher, December 10, 2006, 19:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a hatchery supported stream today in the mountains of western North Carolina.
The air temperature was at 36 degrees when I started at 10:00am this morning.
The water temp was 38 degrees. This is a freestone stream medium size.

The water was very clear and running a little high. There was lots of ice in the slower pools, but for the most part the stream was open.

I started the day fishing a size 20 ptn in the runs and tail outs. The takes were very soft, but once on the fish fought hard. I managed to land some rainbows in the morning, but it was difficult to feel the takes.

Later in the afternoon, the fish started sipping bwo's, there was a good hatch around 1:30. I watched a run and saw several rises, so I switched flies to a bwo emerger pattern size 18.
I fished the tail out of some riffles, and the fish were on. The key to it was long casts as the water was very clear and the fish were spooky. I used a 9ft tapered leader with 3ft of 6x tippet, And waited an extra second or two to set the hook, I made sure the fly was pulled under.

Most of the fish caught were female brook trout, with a couple of rainbows.

It was fun to fish these conditions today, and try a new pattern I have been working on.

I tried two different emerger patterns, one with a tuft of CDC, post style, and one with a looped winged case, both flies worked good, but the CDC tuft style worked better.

Here are some pic's of the fish.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

trout_boy_II

Beautiful!!  I'm jealous, having to stay home this weekend and decorate.  But then, I want to stay married another 30 years...

TB

troutjedi

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout_boy_II on December 10, 2006, 21:03:09 PM
Beautiful!!  I'm jealous, having to stay home this weekend and decorate.  But then, I want to stay married another 30 years...

TB

??? 

Nice report T.P.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

AlaskaBill

Thank you for the report. Iam finally getting out this weekend. I won't have my phone so don't call. HHAHAH ;D