News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Davidson 11/18

Started by Browntrout, November 20, 2006, 11:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browntrout

Made the ride to hit the Davidson Saturday morning.  WEather was cold, but clear and had about 1-1.5 inches of rain on Thursday, so I figured nobody would be fishing and the water slightly up.  Get to the river around 9:30 am all rigged up and ready to fish.  Get down into the water at a rather deep spot (waist deep and work my way out from the bank.  Stripped out some line began my backcast and realized something wasn't right.  Well my thought was confirmed on teh follow through when my 5 weight Orvis rod snapped in two...(GAWD DOG) pissed off as I had suited up got in the river and today was one of the only days I only brought one rod...Rather than make the 20 minute trek back to the house I swung in Wally World and picked-up a cheap Scientific Anglers 5 weight rod.  Got back to the river and rigged up.  Surprisingly the rod casted decent and things were looking up....That is till I got about thigh deep (mind you I am 6'5" tall) and managed to find the only boulder large enough to trip on in this section...Now the temp outside was about 35 and the water was prolly around 40-45 degrees....Well face first in the Davidson I went....That will definetely wake you up...Happy that I managed to hang onto the rod I got up, ring the ten pounds of water from my fleece and notice that my new Wally World purchase was about 2 feet shorter than when I had bought it.... o-o

So to sum up a long winded post, I broke one orvis rod, broke one Scientific Angler rod, fell face first in about 3.5' of ice cold, bone chilling Davidson River water, soaked everything in my vest, and managed to to stick a thorn in the side of my waders on the stomp back to the vehicle.

Oh, I did catch one 15" rainbow in the 20 minutes I actually fished.....I guess it couldn't get too much worse

8@S 8@S
I love the smell of the Mountains in the morning

Woolly Bugger

Man, that's some tough fishing on the Davidson, you did good to get one!  :o

Maybe you should hook up with the Jeditrout as he has lots of experience breaking rods  ;D
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Browntrout:

That sounds like one heck of a day, hopefully you got that day out of the system, and the rest of the days will be good fishing  0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

peter p

somehow this still seems better to me then a day of work
Peter

trout_boy_II

dang peter :o

Your job must really suck!!  o-o

TB

Browntrout

I'm still up in the air about that peter...I wish i had someone to share the moment with....The look on my face was probably priceless.  "If a 6'5" suited up flyfisher falls down in the woods does anyone here him hit the water?" ::)

Just got off the phone with Orvis and they said send the rod in and in 2-3 weeks you'll have a new one at your door.  I guess all is not lost,  I get a new rod out of it. ;D  Orvis rules 0--0
I love the smell of the Mountains in the morning

trout_boy_II

Well, I'm only 6'4" and when I face planted in Courthouse Creek this summer, I know for a fact some folks heard it.  Of course, they left me have it for using language like that, but I digress....

TB

troutjedi

That sounds like a standard Jedi outing  ;D

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: absales on November 20, 2006, 16:37:45 PM
I'm 5' 2" with a 52" girth. I don't topple, I just bobble.

fatal

Look at that Al has Two, count them Two Post !!!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Devinsdad

Go Al, Go Al......

::) LOL  sorry couldn't resist.

Larry

You have my sympathy. The last time I was out, I fell in as well, but not all the way like you as I only got one side wet. It must be something in the air. I was rushing which is not good. Better luck next time.

Larry

Stone-Man

I break rods in bunches.
I'll break 2-3 in a couple months and then not break one for 2-3 years

JT