News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Blue Line

Started by troutphisher, November 18, 2006, 19:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished one of my favorite blue line streams today, in hopes of catching a male brook trout. It didn't get one.

This is a free stone stream in the western  north Carolina mountains. The weather was perfect for fishing about 56 deg, and the water temp right at 43 degs.
The water was very clear, and the leaf little was gone for the most part.
The Elevation of this stream is 3400ft.

I started fishing at 9:30am this morning, and used a size 20 ptn in the pools and pocket water. I managed a couple of small rainbows, and one female brook.

Around 12:30 a good caddis hatch started and I switched flies to a 18 cinnamon caddis, and worked the fly along the edges and boulders, it worked well and I caught several more rainbows, and some browns. Most of the fish were in the 8 to 10" range and were very fun to catch, they fought hard.

The casting conditions were very tight, and I had to cast over boulders, leaving the line to straddle some of them, in order to get the fly in the pools.

I finally called it quits at 5:00pm, it was getting dark and I had a long hike out.

Tomorrow, I am going to try again, to get a male brook in fall colors.

As always fishing, was fun and the scenery was great.

Here are a few pics of the stream and fish.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Damnation! There you go again with another great report, while I'm stuck at home with the kids.... :(
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

badankles

nice pics, thnx.  did u cast to the water in the first pic?  how do one work that type of water?
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: badankles on November 19, 2006, 16:28:19 PM
nice pics, thnx.  did u cast to the water in the first pic?  how do one work that type of water?

I don't know if TP hit that water or not but here is where i'd try!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Exactly Wool, good picks on the spots. Most of the casting was made from that view, casting up stream to the pockets. Also around the boulders on the upstream side, let the current pull the fly around, in the seams, thats were most of the fish were.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.