Jeti, Troutphisher and Woolly Bugger hit the D for an all day (almost) adventure

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 06, 2006, 17:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Looking back there really was no need to get up at 5:15 for a road trip to the D, Jedi and I planned to meet and say goodbye to TroutPhisher before he takes off to New Mexico, never know when we'll be out that way... Anyway we arrived that the Airport Exit on I-26 South about 8:30 transferend our fishing stuff into TP's Jeep Commander and away we went to the D. It was a crisp and finger numbing and crystal clear morning as we suited up and hit the lower end of the D for some fishing. We pounded the water hard for at least four hours before deciding to move to another location. We had come up empty, I had one fish boil on a CDC Caddis.

We regrouped and went on up to see the crowds at the hatchery, not exactly my type of fishing, elbow to elbow, with only one hole to stand in. We did manage to slip in above and below the bridge and again I had a fish strike my fly at the end of of 30 foot drift where I least  expected it and of course I missed it with too much slack in the line. Later I moved on down to join Jedi and TP for the maddening evening rise. There was a huge fishing working under a rhododendron and I tried casting to him and missed to strikes as the fish sippend or rolled on the fly. Jedi and TP both caught some nice fish but I managed to keep my score card clean for this trip. Had to stop fishing during the last 30 minutes of daylight as my feet were turning into blocks of ice....

Thanks for showing us your "home river" TP and maybe we'll get a chance to visit you once you get settled into New Mexico.

TP's got some nice shots to post...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

It was fun to fish with you both, any time any place!
I had a blast, watching some of the best casting, I have seen in a while.

Both Jetti and Woolly, can cast into some very tight spots at some good distances.
Placing the fly under rhododendrons, or against boulders to get the perfect drift in dual currents with different speed currents, mending to keep the fly drag free. Truly enjoying to watch. I had more fun watching these guys go after the big ones, than actually fishing...he he he

I gave Woolly my boo and watched him place a fly under the limbs, from 30ft, then see a Huge brown make a wake in the water and roll on the fly! Dam I thought that was going snap the rod!

The fish were taking dry's for us, cinnamon caddis size 18, bwo size 20 and a thuderhead size 16.

Jetti was casting about 3ft off the bank to a very narrow feeding lane,  making excellent drag free drifts, and hooked up a big brook trout on the thunderhead. Then went to a size 20 bwo and hooked up a nice brown, it jumped a couple of times for him.

I netted both fish and we took a couple of quick shots, before releasing them.

Here is some pics of the fish.

I had lots of fun with good company, the weather warmed up, and the fish started to hit.

And Jetti's got brass gents, fished in shorts under his waders, no fleece.
I didn't take the water temp, but it couldn't have been more than 45. Not to mention the air temp was 28 when we started.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Gofisher

Nice reports and pics! Be safe in your travelsTP.   0--0

"...And Jetti's got brass gents, fished in shorts under his waders, no fleece..."

That's how chubby people stay cool TP.... ;D >:D
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

troutjedi

Yes it was cold...... and no, we didn't clean the river out....  but it was a blast nonetheless.  Nothing beats hanging out with good friends with not a wife in sight  >:D

Here's a couple of non-meat pics:

Woolly at the butt-crack of dawn
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The Three Amig.... err, Three Musket....., err Three Stooges, yeah STOOGES

TP casting to the Jurassic Browns below the hatchery

Woolly and TP.... ass to elbow  ;D

Had a GREAT time  0--0

Devinsdad

Looks like a great trip guys, and Phish is definetly a gent to fish with.  He works hard to make sure company catches a fish or two.

Glad it wad a good one. 0--0

ditchmonkey

ill be the first to say it....wb at crack of dawn...
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GET SOME MORE SLEEP NEXT TIME
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got nekkid chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: ditchmonkey on November 07, 2006, 00:11:29 AM
ill be the first to say it....wb at crack of dawn...
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GET SOME MORE SLEEP NEXT TIME

You just wait ditchmonkey until you have a wife and two kids, playing soccer and having birthday partied, and then getting your monkey ass up at 5:30 and driving the jetster 153 miles. You'll get yours monkey.....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jamie

Nice report and pics. Wooly I hear ya on the wife and kids ;D. I think Jedi was wearing shorts when he and I fished last Dec in the cold, rain and snow. That Montana livin must make ya tough or is that crazy ;). Glad ya'll had a good one.
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

troutjedi

Now THAT was a cold day, Jamie.  I just have thick blood  :D   I'm gonna have to start sporting the Speedo and hip waders in the summer  ;D

kylemc

Nice report.I live about 60-70 miles from the D and have never fished it :-\
I need to get over there.

Devinsdad

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 07, 2006, 09:05:11 AM
You just wait ditchmonkey until you have a wife and two kids, playing soccer and having birthday partied, and then getting your monkey ass up at 5:30 and driving the jetster 153 miles. You'll get yours monkey.....

ROFLMAO-
you tell him WB... can't wait til the real world catches him...

peter p

Peter