News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

shot a piebald yesterday

Started by Al, October 26, 2006, 11:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I shot a piebald yesterday morning at 0750 hours. After the shot and watching it drop like it had been struck by a bolt of lightning I felt a little sad. Actually I always feel a bit sad anytime I make a kill, but in this case it was a real case of remorse because I have been watching this particular deer for two years.

Some of you may recall that I was boosting about letting a piebald "walk" last year because I judged it to be too small. At that time I laid my rifle down and picked up my camera. I was able to take photos of this deer on 2-3 occasions.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I wasn't sure the deer would make it through last year's deer season because the small piece of property where I have permission to hunt is surrounded by "dog hunting" clubs and is also bordered on one side by I-95. I said at the time that if it made it through 2005 without getting shot or hit by a car, and if it gave me an opportunity, that I would take it in 2006.

On the opening day of bow season 2006 I was surprised and pleased to see the piebald had beat the odds and survived for another year. I did not get a good view of it but due to it's white color it was easy to pick out as it ran off with a 6 point buck that spooked when I stood up to attempt a shot. The 6pt and the piebald even came back to see what had spooked them but hung back in the woods out of bow shot.

Up until this year I had thought the piebald was a doe, but after seeing it with the 6 point buck and knowing a little bit about deer social habits, I suspected they had formed a "bachelor group" and the piebald was actually a buck.

I hunted the area during muzzleloader season and killed a big doe which was part of a "doe family group" on opening day. I sat the stand several more times but did not see a thing. I seldom hunt the area once the regular gun season kicks in because I share the stand with the landowner and his son. (We are hoping that his son will shoot his first deer this year).

Yesterday morning I decided to give the stand another try and it paid off. I arrived about 1/2 hour before daylight and settled into a very comfortable ladder stand. After offering a prayer to the good Lord for all the good things in my life, I also asked that if I were given the opportunity to take a shot that the shot fly true and that the animal not suffer in it's demise.

Daylight came and soon brightened things up without any activity. At about 0750 I looked to my left and there was the piebald standing broadside at the edge of some trees. He was at about 55-65 yards distance staring my way. I slowly reached for my rifle, a Browning A-Bolt 30-06. The cross hairs of my 2-7 Simmons scope which were set at 2 power came to rest on the point of the deer's front shoulder. The trigger broke at 2 1/2 pounds and the deer was on the ground before the sound of the shot reached my ears.

I gave a prayer of thanks, unloaded and lowered my gun and slowly walked to the deer.

That was when the remorse started to hit me. I thought, "what have I done?" Sure, it was a rare trophy, but it had also been a very rare living creature. (I have to stop thinking these things or I will quit hunting)  Anyway, you will note from the above photo that it was a spike buck and that it also has a very pronounced overbite. The one spike that you see was the only horn it had. The other horn was a hard burr less then 1/4 inch long.

I took the deer to Ft Bragg Wildlife for "check in" and cleaning. The wildlife biologist at Ft Bragg told me that although some pure albinos and piebald deer exhibit normal characteristics, the overbite and stunted horn growth are common with piebalds. 

The deer weighed 97 pounds and was estimated to be 2 years old.

I carefully removed the hide and have already taken it to a taxidermist. It will be tanned and made into a wall or chair cover which will be a great conversation piece and serve as a memorial for this very unique animal.

And so ends the tale of my piebald.

badankles

did u eat it?  taste like the other white meat?
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Al

Quote from: badankles on October 27, 2006, 19:29:34 PM
did u eat it?  taste like the other white meat?

I assume your comment is in jest - but yes, we have processed it and intend to eat it. No, it is not white meat - very good red meat with no fat or other artificial stuff added, plus I butcher it myself so I know how clean the environment is as it is processed.

One of my hunting buddies told me it might have some bad hormones in it and might make my "you know what" drop off. I ate one about 15 years ago and my fair lady says if anything it had the opposite effect ;D

troutphisher

Nice shot!

Lots of meat, and plenty of good hair to tie!!!!  0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

If you had any scraps left over from the hide I would like to have enough to make myself a loin cloth. Really turns on the ladies if ya know what I mean ;) :D;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Al

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 27, 2006, 21:51:22 PM
If you had any scraps left over from the hide I would like to have enoug to make myself a loin cloth. Really truns on the ladies if ya know what I mean ;) :D;D

I will save you some. It should not take much to cover you and it would be very appropriate. As you recall this deer only had one horn and it was a very small one at that. >:D

badankles

the white meat part was in jest.  not a hunter myself, but have had friends that smoked jerkeyed them and liked it...tho wasn't a piebald.

when's a newbie no longer a newbie...