News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

South Holston in the sun!

Started by Hugh Hartsell, September 18, 2005, 16:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Hartsell

:D You've just got to love a beautiful Fall day and a little time on the river to wade for those beautiful browns. Ernie Roberts , Carolyn and I  made it up to the South Holston early this morning. We caught a few nice ones. The big one (25-26 IN.) BROKE MY LINE WITH THE FIRST JUMP! However, we did get 3 more very beautiful fish  today. Two of them were in the 20in. range. See if you like this color.
      Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.

Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
SMOKYMOUNTAINGUIDESERVICE

Woolly Bugger

Sweet, nice brown and great photo too! Wish I could get out on the w/e :(
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

DJ65

Amazing river. I hate it when the big urns get off, though.

Devinsdad

Peddler

OH MY GOODNESS! :o Big fish AND clean nails!  ;D

You done good there, Hugh!
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Trout Chaser

Stuart R.

Where were you guys fishing on the holston I hope ot go tuesday. Were the sulpher hathcing good or not? Tell me the details please. If they are hatching still pretty good are the sulphers still about a 18? Thanks alot.

FM
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

brownhunter

WOW :o That is a beautiful fish and I would have really enjoyed the big one. Sorry it got off, but that is the reason why they get so big. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your day.aa
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Hugh Hartsell

:D Flymaster: I wish that I could give you the details of just where we fished but it's better if I just say: "we were below the dam". There was a moderate hatch of sulfurs and they were closer to size #16 than #18. You will have some problems with the generation schedule if you are going to be wade fishing, and that means that you will have to start early to get much time on the water. I wish you luck when you get on the stream.
  Here is another one from yesterday.
   Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

brownhunter

Another gorgeous fish :o I hope to catch me a fish of that size just once before I go and meet my maker.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

ethomas

Absolutely gorgeous fish, Hugh.  I'm sure Carolyn's fish were bigger than your's ;D

et

Hugh Hartsell

:D Eric, I'm not talking! ;D Really guys, thanks for all the kind words about the pics. If you want to see one of the best fishing reports that you'll see all season, just take a look at all the pictures that we got the other day. I finally got all of Ernie's fish on. This is the kind of trip that you dream of.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/report11.htm . I hope that some of you get in a trip like this before the Sulfur hatch is over.
    Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Stuart R.

Ya this time of year is tough to make a wade trip wanted to go today. But oh well TVA didn't see it for me to go. I know gotta pull that blasted lake level. But it still sucks. Are you using a drift boat or what? Was trying to find some pics of Holston fish but all my good ones are film camera pics. I tried to upload a pic my connection is too weak I guess so oh well you will be by yourself with the pics I guess!

FM
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Hugh Hartsell

:D FlyMaster, these were all wade trips that we have made this Summer. If you have access to a drift boat or pontoon rig, I'm sure that the fishing would be just as good during generation. Using a drift boat was the way that I went last year. If you can get there early, you can usually get in a little fishing by wading. Get on out there and enjoy the river before the hatch is over.
    Hugh 
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

dblhaul

Wow, does the S. Holston usually see a sulphur hatch this late?..Great pics..Looking at a November visit...May have to step it up..