Smith River late Saturday

Started by Damselfly, September 18, 2005, 10:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damselfly

I love driving a gravel road at dusk. There's something so mellow about the sound, the time of day, and the fact that it means you've been in the wilder places for a while- that makes it a little easier to travel back home.

I spent the end of the afternoon in a section of the Smith downstream of the cabins and up from the deep bend, and played with a few decent-sized trout after all. I say after all, because for the first hour or so, I could not decipher their menu at all- and was feeling that faint tightness between my shoulderblades that told me I was near to frustration. The browns were in teasing mode- managing to flash in the middle of the water column at the edge of my peripheral vision every time. It wasn't until I actually saw one directly that I realized it wasn't my imagination- and had to chuckle because I felt like I'd been let in on the joke finally.
So- I tied on a BH Larva Lace...nothing.
A bright yellow-green caddis imitation....nothing.
A BH Pheasanttailforgoodnesssakes....nothing.
(I'm gonna throw a rock in there if they keep this up!)
A BH Prince? A Red LarvaLace? A Grasshopperdoggoneit?!
*sigh*
Well, I can't throw a rock- there's somebody upstream looking this way...
Whoa! If I fall in this snotmoss too....!
Hm- I have a brand-new wading staff...just up that hill in the car.
Then finally, the go-to fly I usually wait to go-to-
a BH grizzly soft-hackle....a tiny,howdotheydoit twitch of the indicator and a nearly instinctual, was that a hit hookset, and I landed a beautiful (fisherman code for small) brown.
*SIGH* Broke the ice...what a relief...go away you haunting skunk.
(The Smith has herds of 'em, you know)

It's been an hour or so...the sun has left this water and the mists are getting thicker and more constant....geee the water's cccold...and the trout are now showing noses...nebs? Isn't that what they're called? Nebbing seems a good word for what they're doing now- barely nudging the surface film to sip invisible somethings- I wouldn't know what it was if one hadn't just landed on my vest- teeny black flying ants.
Aha! I have some- Ugh in the car in a spare box.
So I tie on a Griffith's Gnat...nothing.
Ooh, there's that tightness between my shoulder blades....
the guy upstream has gone, my evil side whispers...
But no- I return to the Soft-hackle, shorten the tippet and clip my indicator to almost nothing... and bing, bang, boom- one after another I caught three perfect-finned browns and a rainbow out of the same sweetwater riffle.
The rainbow was the biggest at about 12", big-eyed and with her breeding face on (They must keep that year-round like FlyDoc said), and as I turned her in my hand to admire her bright stripe, I saw that she'd survived a deadly-looking gash- still raw and red, where someone had visciously stolen her eggs.

Maybe the best part was that the trout grew in size each time from about 7" to a hefty 12"....or the frustration of the hours before...or maybe it was the heartbreaking beauty of the big brown's haloes- more likely it was all of it that put me in that happy, mellow mood driving the gravel road headed home under an impossibly big full moon.

Woolly Bugger

I'm with you there girl, those pesky browns sipping nothing

frustrating till you finally hit the right combination.

thanks for the great report....

now we gotta get you a camera so we can see how big those beautiful trout really are....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Damselfly

EW- Proof?!  :-X
Next you'll be asking me to carry a tape measure or something!

I am very much open to suggestions on a digital camera.
I need something with a decent amount of zoom, small enough for
a fly vest pocket.
Is the Pentax WR33 still the best bet for that??

brownhunter

Nice report there Damselfly. Sorry they weren't more cooperative for you right away. I have never fished that river, but from the reports it sounds like it is a doosy!!!
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Devinsdad

Laurie,
I always enjoy reading your posts. they are so eloquent and always make you feel as if we had fished right along with ya!
Nice report!!

OTS

As always, your report was another fine work of art! I too, really enjoy reading your reports Lauri. my favorite part of fishing that river is driving down the gravel road at might, through the narrow section that has the trees completely grown over it like a tunnel. Great way to end a day.

You know what I am going to ask ;). Did you see any trash or areas of concern while you were on the river?

Thanks Lauri!

Brent G

Great post Laurie! You always have a way with words and I really enjoy reading you're posts..... they make us feel like we are on the stream with ya :)

As far as the WR33 you can't go wrong with it ..... it fits in you're shirt pocket and takes great pictures..... nuff said :)  I've had mine since Christmas and have been very pleased with it.  ;)

Brent G

flytyer

Good report--good read---sounds like you through every thing but the kitchen sink at those browns like I did last friday on the smith. I fished well over an hour just trying to break into double digits but could not land the one I needed. A storm was brewing up so I left down trodden :-[

Woolly Bugger

Here's the link to Digital Liquidators where several SFF members have purchased the REFURBISHED Pentax Optio 33WR

http://www.digitalliquidators.com/detail.asp?id=pnoptio33wr

Caution. These guys will call to confirm your order and try to sell you all sorts of expensive accessories. Just get the camera from them. You can get all the other stuff later at a better price elsewhere.

You will need a larger memory card and rechargeable batteries...

Others who have purchased it may be able to give you some more advice. But from what I have seen posted this camera takes *GREAT* photos and it is perfect for the Fly Fisher.

I'm still thinking about gettin one too!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

I was down in the lower end of Spec Reg on Sat morning. Did ok but the bite is definately slowing down.

Here is photo taken with my Pentax 33WR. Very easy to carry and use.

Damselfly

Thanks Guys!
Great shot Al...I'm checking out Digital Liquidators per Keith &
Tiger Direct per my bro. for a digital with 4Mg+ memory & lots o zoom.

Ben- I was surprised at how little trash I saw. Then again, I was in that
section that wanders away from the road a bit.
Most trash I've seen- other than what I've fished with  ;) -has been around the
worm-dunker bend and just below the old canoe launch at the dam.

Al

Quote from: Damselfly on September 20, 2005, 06:24:41 AM
Thanks Guys!
Great shot Al...I'm checking out Digital Liquidators per Keith &
Tiger Direct per my bro. for a digital with 4Mg+ memory & lots o zoom.

Take a real close look at the Pentax Optio 33WR. It was $118 about 3 months ago at Digital Liquidators. It is about the size of a overgrown pack of cigarettes, has a good zoom, very easy to use and definitely will take a dunking in the water.

Like others have already said, you will need a larger memory card and some rechargeable batteries but you can buy them at Radio Shack or Walmart a lot cheaper then from Digital Liquidators.

jodunk84

Great report! I love your writing too... I felt like I've been there before and could see you in the movie. Cool!

Jodunk84

Arky_Dan

Damselfly , you do tell a good story .Feels like we were there with you  !  I've been curious about the camera too , so thanks guys for the positive  posts .        Dan
work is for people who don't know how to fly fish !!!!!!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?