News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River 8/20

Started by gardenboy, August 23, 2006, 12:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gardenboy

I don't post very often but I do enjoy reading other posts from everyone. A friend and I fished the Smith on Sunday and had a good day and a frustrating at the same time. We started in the Special Reg. are and caught some nice fish in the late morning on terrestrials(Beetles and Ants). We then started to move through town at some of our favorite spots and the fishing slowed down considerably. We ended the day with 25 browns and 2 rainbows between us. The river was VERY LOW and VERY CLEAR which made the fish VERY SPOOKY!!!!!! It was fun if you like technical fishing to spooky fish.

I was curios about a couple of things from the regulars here, Are there other tailwaters that you enjoy fishing except the Smith and Holston? Also, What is your favorite Smith Rod and What is your favorite Holston Rod? My favorite Smith is the new SAGE FLI 8'6" 3 weight. I am asking because I need to buy a good rod for the Holston.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: gardenboy on August 23, 2006, 12:31:43 PM
I don't post very often but I do enjoy reading other posts from everyone. A friend and I fished the Smith on Sunday and had a good day and a frustrating at the same time. We started in the Special Reg. are and caught some nice fish in the late morning on terrestrials(Beetles and Ants). We then started to move through town at some of our favorite spots and the fishing slowed down considerably. We ended the day with 25 browns and 2 rainbows between us. The river was VERY LOW and VERY CLEAR which made the fish VERY SPOOKY!!!!!! It was fun if you like technical fishing to spooky fish.

I was curios about a couple of things from the regulars here, Are there other tailwaters that you enjoy fishing except the Smith and Holston? Also, What is your favorite Smith Rod and What is your favorite Holston Rod? My favorite Smith is the new SAGE FLI 8'6" 3 weight. I am asking because I need to buy a good rod for the Holston.

I use a 9' 5 wt on Both the Smith (wind can be an issue...) and on the Holston! I've got a Sage SP that does the trick for me... although after seeing some of the BIG browns that some out of the Holston a 6, 7 or even 8 wt :)

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

I use a 8ft 6in Orvis 5wt on the Smith. Works for me. I have used a 7ft 5wt but always had to push the cast to reach where I wanted to go. A 8ft 6in or 9ft makes life easier.

I fish mostly nymphs and think anything less then a 4wt is too light for serious nymph fishing.

phg

I built a 9' 4wt. with the Smith in mind.  It has the length to reach over currents to work the seams, and enough backbone to cut through a good breeze.  An additional reason why I went with a 4wt was that I have several reels already spooled with 4wt line, so I didn't have to purchase a new line.