MT Water rights issues in the news again...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 26, 2006, 10:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

VICTOR, Mont. — Mitchell Slough is a slice of Montana heaven, a meandering 13-mile-long waterway that purls gently past houses and ranches, with the black backs of large, darting trout visible beneath the crystal-clear surface.

There are some two dozen landowners along the waterway, including the rock musician Huey Lewis and a Las Vegas contractor who built a dazzling home with a glass floor over a branch of the slough.

Now lawyers for Mr. Lewis and the other landowners are before the Montana Supreme Court arguing that the waterway is no more than a man-made ditch. The case turns on a state law that mandates public access to natural waterways, something Mr. Lewis and the others insist should not apply to Mitchell Slough.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/26/us/26slough.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

As an increasing number of wealthy people move to Montana, the debate over public access to waterways has intensified. Some newcomers do not know or care that Montana has a law that guarantees public access and have fenced off rivers or chased people away from them.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

plumbob

Don't care how much money you have I don't think the water rights will ever be changed to suit a couple fools. I hope the folks in Montana give them a good harty welcome. >:D

lepomis_mcro

i think all states should have laws like in MT...the water should belong to everybody, not just a select few
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Peddler

Another name of note is trying to grab that waterway... Schwab! The same family who swallowed up the once famous Powell Rod Company and spit it out a shell of its former self!
I reckon if I wanted to play the 'I, Me, Mine' game there is no better time than now!
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

natureboy

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on July 26, 2006, 17:43:24 PM
i think all states should have laws like in MT...the water should belong to everybody, not just a select few
[/quote

I agree....     0--0