Smith River Summer Weekend Generation Implemented

Started by Al, July 12, 2006, 10:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Smith River fishermen should be sure to check the generation schedule before heading out this weekend. Call (276) 629-2432 for the most recent generation schedule recording. (Always a good idea no matter when you're fishing)

The COE has approval to implement a 9 week test period of weekend generation starting on Saturday, July 15, 2006. The plan right now is to generate with one unit for one hour commencing at 7am and stopping at 8am. The same schedule will be repeated on Sunday, July 16th. One unit will produce a flow of 600 cfs which will make wading very dangerous.

This weekend release test will help determine if weekend releases will mitigate water temperature spikes and improve the downstream trout fishery as has been predicted by the VA Tech & VDGIF study. Kudos to the COE, USFWS and interested "stakeholders" for making this happen.

If you are an experienced wade fisherman and like to fish up until the last moment before the generation surge reaches your section of the stream be alert to your surroundings. Be sure you are in a spot that will allow you to exit the stream bed without difficulty. It should go without saying that you should exit on the correct side of the river or it may be a long and difficult walk back to your vehicle.

Unless you are very near the dam you will not hear an alarm signaling the turbines are about to turn on. If you are well downstream it will take some time for the flow to reach you. When generating it takes the high water approximately this long to reach the following areas:

20 minutes Cabin that sits on hill with steep stairs on dirt road to dam

30 minutes Yellow metal steps opposite house just before road changes to gravel on road to dam

1 hour Town Creek / Mirror Factory / top of Spec Reg section

1 1/2 hour Nice pool at curve of river by overgrown field as you come up RR tracks from Rosemont parking area

2 hours Hwy 666 Bridge / Bottom of Spec Reg section

3 hours South Bassett / Jims Auto Part

3 1/2 hours Stanleytown Bridge / new CVS store

4 hours Martin Processing / just upstream of Hwy 220 bypass

5 hours Koehler Area / Church's Chicken in Basket

Even though the water levels will eventually rise 3-4 feet this does not happen all at once, so don't look upstream expecting to see a wall of water. Your first indication of rising water will be a noticeable rise in stream noise level and a more insistent tug at your waders. If you're in one of the flat water sections you can easily miss these signs but you may notice more debris flowing by. If you know you are playing it close, it is a good idea to fix your gaze on a log or rock that is partially submerged, fish a couple more minutes, then look back at the object. If it is smaller in size the flow has arrived. You have about 5 minutes to get out or you will be in trouble.

As one of the "Smith River regulars" I don't see much downsize to this change. On the contrary, it may be linchpin that improves the habitat so the we will see more insects and forage fish which will in turn improve the growth rate of the trout. Sure, we will have to learn to fish around the weekend schedule, but we are already doing that during the week.

Remember, be safe. Call ahead before you go fishing (276) 629-2432

badankles

thanks so much for the info.  even tho i've not been able to do the Smith, you've done myself and many others (i'm sure) a great service.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Al

I'm bumping this up to the top because I see some folks asking about generation flow rates again. Read what I said in my original post and you should be in good shape.

After my "heart to heart talk" with them over the missing announcement last weekend I expect they will be updating the announcment on Friday.

My behind the scenes information leads me to believe they may not generate at all this weekend but that is not official until they update the announcement.

The original plan for the test period was to generate in the morning one weekend, at peak time next weekend and not at all the following weekend. The plan was to repeat that cycle three times over the summer. They are also monitoring the water temp for each of those periods.

I can't stress enough that nothing is official until they make updates to the recording and as always there is the caveat "This schedule is always subject to change and anyone relying on this information does so at their own risk. The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers can assume NO responsibility".

Always call the recording at (276) 629-2432 before you go fishing and always be aware of your surroundings. If you perceive the water is rising, monitor it closely and if your perception is a reality - get out quickly.