News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New to Forum

Started by elise, July 25, 2006, 15:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elise

Greetings!
I am new to this forum and I am also somewhat new to fly fishing.  I spent a week with Trout Unlimited's Youth Camp and enjoyed an incredible week as their camp nurse.  Actually, the boys were extremely healthy and I was not very useful but I learned SO much and I have been fishing and reading about fishing since my return!
My fly fishing experiences are limited to the Jackson River.  I usually go every other weekend with my boyfriend and we enjoy this so much.  My "fishing buddy" is going to be away for a while and I am somewhat skittish about fishing alone.  I just can not figure out why my other friends are not as hooked as I am!
Does anyone have any places in mind where it is somewhat safe to fish alone and possibly some advice (do's and don'ts)
Thanks! Elise

streamer

Welcome, Elise. I hope you enjoy the forum. Lots of knowledgeable and fun folks here. Like any other places where your safety might be concerned, the rules are the same outdoors. Don't fish alone and out of sightlines. Carry a whistle, pepper spray, air horn, etc. Don't fish so close to dark that you can't be seen. I'm sure there are other suggestions regarding safety, but these are some of the common sense biggies.

There are women on this board and others with whom you can hook up. We also have a few large group trips every year where there will be other women, but aslo men of integrity with whom you can fish comfortably. The Smallie Show is coming up August 4-6. It's a "family" type trip for smallmouth bass on the New River. The details are here: http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11865 .
Lots of folks from this board aill be attending since they are also members of the SEFFF too. Glad to have you with us. Enjoy!

Regards,
Streamer
Remember...We all live downstream.

Woolly Bugger

While fly fishing is a solitary sport we often travel together to the stream. I've fished alone on the steams on NC for 13 years and the only time I've encountered any "problems" was at the trailhead coming off the stream late in the day. But now I'm more likely to fish with a buddy and have met quite a few at TU meetings and the internet boards. Like streamer said the "Smallie Show" is coming up on Aug 4-6 and is a great place to meet a lot of great fishermen. I think that there are about 30 signed up so far. We also have smaller trips that we plan throughout the year. Glad you stopped by and joined our forum...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Flyfisherman

outdoorguy3

Quote from: streamer on July 25, 2006, 16:04:59 PM

but aslo men of integrity with whom you can fish comfortably.

Rut Ro....do dat mean I can't come???

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

plumbob

Quote from: outdoorguy3 on July 25, 2006, 17:27:47 PM
Quote from: streamer on July 25, 2006, 16:04:59 PM

but aslo men of integrity with whom you can fish comfortably.

Rut Ro....do dat mean I can't come???

Ralph   0--0

Sure ya can Ralph just make it a different day. ;D Sorry that was just hangin there. ;D

jscagline

Welcome Elise!  A lot of good info and good people.  These folks will share their knowledge and can also exercise your mind with deep, well thought out discussions...a great way to relax! 0--0

Tight Lines!
Jim
The truth hurts but not as much as a gas guzzling, eco wrecking SUV hitting you at 100 MPH!  Yeah baby, yeah!

teachrtec

Brad  8)

FT

Welcome.  the Smallie Show would be a good opportunity for you to meet some of us.  Since you fish the Jackson, I assume you are from western VA.  There are several of us in the valley that get down that way a couple of times a year. 
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

Al

I'd invite you down to fish the Smith but that part about "men of integrity" probably rules that out. :P 

All kidding aside, dittos to what has already been said. Most folks are friendly here and you can gain a boatload of information. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Some good flyfishermen here and most are pretty free with the information. Sort through the BS and you will learn a little from each.

If you live near Roanoke I know a couple of very competent fly fisherwomen up there that are always looking for someone to go fishing with. If intersted, PM me and I will attempt to link you up.

elise

WOW!  You guys are great! Thanks for your posts!

Is the Smallie Show an event in which I could drive down for the day?  I live in Roanoke and I do not mind several hours in the car.  I am curious about the flies you use for small mouth bass as I am starting my fly collection.  I do have one popper.  I have a St Croix 5wt rod.

Al, I will send you an email so I can get hooked up with the fisherwomen in Roanoke.  As to the post re fishermen with integrity:  My thought is--- ANYONE who flyfishes has a great deal of integrity! I have not met a fishing person I have not liked!

Thanks again!
Elise

FT

You could come down for the day.  Check out the thread posted and the one for directions.  You really should plan  on staying for dinner and visiting (BS'ing) around the campfire.

BTW, if you look up integrity in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of Al.
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars