News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Before The Cluster

Started by Onslow, February 09, 2024, 17:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

You cannot view this attachment.

Down the creek with the canoe.  Watershed size is about 31 square miles.  Flow was probably 60 cfs. A perfect flow for what I was wanting to do.  I ended up paddling 1.8 miles downstream, then pulled the canoe up on a tether while I fished three rods. A Discovery 119 will float me in 3.5 inches of water.  It is faster than a kayak, it is far lighter than any fishing kayak, and I have yet to have a rod fall out of the boat.

This creek is stocked, and will be closed for the month of March.  I wanted to get a feel for this stream when most of the stockers are gone.  Perhaps I may even catch a few big browns...or not.

About a half mile in at the top of a rapid, something made quite a fuss in the water.  Never did see what is was.  No otters were seen, perhaps it was a huge brown I spooked.

The catching was slow, but not dead.  I let a 12 incher slip out of hand, did not pic every fish.

At one point I started dragging streamers and elicited a two strikes from a 15 incher.

Curiously, I started really catching a bunch of small (5-7) inch streambred browns as the I wrapping things up right at the bridge.

Interesting looking stocker.  Fought good.  Much darker than the other fish.  Scales were much more dense.  It took some effort to scale it.

Damn thing jizzed all over my boat.

Had thirty minutes to spare so I stopped at another creek on the way home. First time on this part of the creek.

Not impressed.  Managed to catch a dink.

That's it.

Waders are blown out in the crotch.  I hate waters.  All they are good for is failing and leaking. Holding my fire until it is wet wading season. 

troutboy_II

Quote from: Onslow on February 09, 2024, 17:52:19 PM

[
Waders are blown out in the crotch.  I hate waters.  All they are good for is failing and leaking. Holding my fire until it is wet wading season. 

You forgot makes it a bitch when you have to pee.  Which I seem to "have to" more and more these days.  b'; But life is like that I suppose.  Still gonna wear my waders though.  Skinny old legs really get old in cold water, so...

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutboy_II on February 10, 2024, 11:37:35 AM

[

You forgot makes it a bitch when you have to pee. Which I seem to "have to" more and more these days.  b'; But life is like that I suppose.  Still gonna wear my waders though.  Skinny old legs really get old in cold water, so...

TB

My next waders will be zippered. It's difficult to be a beer drinking fly fisherman!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on February 10, 2024, 14:06:42 PMMaybe I need neoprene waders

on cold days I miss my old StreamSide neoprene's
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 10, 2024, 11:55:11 AM

[

You forgot makes it a bitch when you have to pee. Which I seem to "have to" more and more these days.  b'; But life is like that I suppose.  Still gonna wear my waders though.  Skinny old legs really get old in cold water, so...

TB

My next waders will be zippered. It's difficult to be a beer drinking fly fisherman!

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 10, 2024, 11:55:11 AM

[

TB

I don't drink beer, but still have to pee alla time. Bit the bullet and bought zippered waders -- best buy ever. They are worth the extra $100.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

You boys might want to reevaluate the zippered waders, consider these, and save some coin.  I started stockpiling them about a year ago when the nighttime post piss dribbles started.  I know it is only going to get much worse.  No more sleeping in the nude.  I hate pajamas but it is much easier to change and wash pajamas every day than deal with daily sheet changing.

Depend for men!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutboy_II

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on February 13, 2024, 11:25:41 AMYou boys might want to reevaluate the zippered waders, consider these, and save some coin.  I started stockpiling them about a year ago when the nighttime post piss dribbles started.  I know it is only going to get much worse.  No more sleeping in the nude.  I hate pajamas but it is much easier to change and wash pajamas every day than deal with daily sheet changing.

Depend for men!
:o
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

troutboy_II

So ok, got the new whorevis catalog in the mail today and turned to the wader section to check out the zipper versions. Turns out they offer them in short and long sizes :embarassed: Now that ain't any of their business!  n!n  The damn thing's zip lower or something?  I mean, who is going to order the short size?

TB

driver

Quote from: troutboy_II on February 15, 2024, 15:45:31 PMSo ok, got the new whorevis catalog in the mail today and turned to the wader section to check out the zipper versions. Turns out they offer them in short and long sizes :embarassed: Now that ain't any of their business!  n!n  The damn thing's zip lower or something?  I mean, who is going to order the short size?

TB

Haha