News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Rain Gear Repair

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 05, 2023, 11:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I have an LL Bean Goretex paclite rain jacket, its about 12 years old best guess. The other day on the Smith it "wetted out" and didn't breathe properly, therefore the inside became wet. It was still better than not wearing it though. It was time to wash it and reactivate the DWR (durable water resistance) coating of the fabric. This is done by either low heat in the dryer or ironing. I stuck it in the dryer and while the coating appeared to be renewed, it also melted off some of the seam tape. Crap! I think I have some wader repair tape, not sure if its heat activated or needs to be applied with aquaseal.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

I washed and dried my old Cabelas Goretex jacket too.
We shall see.  d:b
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

greg

My first goretex rain coat was ll bean model from late 90's. I never washed it until it began to wet out after just a few minutes of rain. I washed and retreated it several times with nikwax but it never much worked. I've gone through a few raincoats since. It seems like once they get to a point they are hard to keep from wetting out. I'm using a lil bean goretex I bought about 4 years ago now. I have washed dried and done the nikwax on it. It still wets out a little but keeps me dry. I am headed to glacier national park the end of month for a backpacking trip. Think I may try Patagonia torrent. It's not goretex but it's a good bit lighter in weight than the ll bean. As they say ounces become pounds. Hope your coat works like new again.

troutboy_II

I'm a fan of the Patagouchi coat, having had a few over the years, all found on sale thankfully. I finally figured out that you need to wash and nikwax before it appears to need it.  I don't know why that works, but it has greatly extended the waterproofing life of the jackets.  Besides, the sense of accomplishment when that water beads up again on my sleeve - priceless!  V:;

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dee-Vo

Very cool. I had some family that was out there for the last couple of weeks.

greg

Excited. I haven't been since 2004.

Woolly Bugger

well the newly washed jacket wasn't repelling water very well so I gave it a shot of

me -There's a season?

troutboy_II

Hopefully, that will work, but a lot of effort based on our past adventures with this stuff.  We have shifted to the "wash-in" version and were pleased with the results. Your mileage age may vary...

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Phil

I would like to thank "troutboy" for the post about washing and waterproofing with the Nikwax products. I tried the two bottles on my old Columbia rain jacket and now it works like new.  'c;

troutboy_II

Quote from: Phil on August 15, 2023, 15:12:46 PMI would like to thank "troutboy" for the post about washing and waterproofing with the Nikwax products. I tried the two bottles on my old Columbia rain jacket and now it works like new.  'c;

I occasionally get something right  V:;

That stuff is good and easier than the spray on (we tried every technique from standing on our heads when applying to waiting for midnight on a full moon to apply - still mediocre results) so we use wash in more often which probably is the real key.

Glad you had good experience.

TB

greg

I used the spray on recently on goretex coat. It still west out. Keeps my dry but doesn't breathe all that well.

troutboy_II

Quote from: greg on August 16, 2023, 11:20:30 AMI used the spray on recently on goretex coat. It still west out. Keeps my dry but doesn't breathe all that well.

Yep.  That's what we found about half the time we used the spray. I don't have any ownership in Nikwax wash in stuff, but it seems to consistently work.

greg

I called ll bean once and Nikwax is what they recommend.

troutboy_II

Quote from: greg on August 16, 2023, 15:39:16 PMI called ll bean once and Nikwax is what they recommend.

I think the key is using it before the fabric looks and stays wet, much less actually lets water through. We figure on using the wash in Nikwax about every 18 months unless they look like the are not shedding moisture like they used to. Not sure of the science behind it, but experience seems to suggest that this works.

Advertisement,

Advertisement,