Air Travel with Fly Fishing Gear

Started by Shmang, May 30, 2023, 11:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shmang

Flying Southwest Air to Denver in mid-June. Wanted to ask what restrictions are in place for a fly rod tube? Wanting to take two rods in a regular fly rod tube - would that be OK with should I plan differently? I am going to call them this evening to get more info but figured someone might know any updated rules.

My fly vest, boots, and other gear will be in separate luggage then I can put clothes in a carry on - but the rod tube is an unknown for me. It's been years since I have flown with fly gear so I am trying to plan ahead.

Thanks for the help.

Dougfish

I have flown numerous times with 2 & 4 piece rod tubes. No problems.
Carried on a document tube with 2 - 4 piece rods in it one time.   
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

I've never had any issues, but it's been a while since I've flowN. Used to be that a flight attendant would store long tubes in the "first class coat closet"  I used to carry short two pieces and 9' 3 piece rods

Here is what the internet says

https://carpfishinguk.org/you-can-bring-your-fishing-rod-on-southwest-airlines/#:~:text=You%20are%20allowed%20to%20bring%20up%20to%20two,can%20be%20stored%20safely%20in%20the%20overhead%20bin.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rhody

Just flew Allegiant from Asheville to FL last week, I took a rod carry on case and fishing partner took a rod tube, all carry on. Out of Asheville, nothing said at all. On return from FL, TSA made my buddy take his rods out of the tube and show them to TSA folks, nothing said about the rod carry on case. In and out of CO,MT,UT,ID rod tubes/cases are about as common as strollers. Coming out of Canada, we have always had to take carry on rods out of tubes and show them to TSA, but many other places I have flown with both a rod carry on case and tubes, have never had a problem. Mexico limits you to 4 rods and reels coming into the country and you cannot bring fly line on a return flight orginating in Mexico, for Mexico, I always put the spool in checked baggage. For Carribbean and Central America, we put all of the rods into one rod carry on case, all of the reels into one carry on and then combine flies, pliers, nippers and other stuff into one checked bag, I do not check my rods or reels.

I have gotten 3 rods into one tube before-10-12 wt. rod tubes will hold several 3/4 wt. rods. Alternate the butt ends and they fit fine, or if you take multiple tubes, make sure to tape the tubes together so they count as 1 personal item and not 2. If you take waders & boots, throw a couple of trash bags in your bag to keep them separate on the way back, wader funk exists in my world.

I have asked several TSA folks about flies, and they have all told me as long as they are not longer than 4" they are fine. To be safe, I usually put 10-12 flies into a small box for the carry on and check my larger fly box. Pliers and nippers are big no-no's. Keep up with your rod tubes, got a buddy that invariably leaves one somewhere and has to go back and get it, luckily it has always been there.

And yes, I did trout set a big assed tarpon right at the boat and lost another one at the boat.
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Shmang

Shmang