News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Not the New Floaty

Started by Onslow, May 26, 2023, 21:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

It has been a while since there has been an opportunity to hit the river with Fishwhisperer. Jeff moved to Gastonia for a major assignment at Cliffside powerplant, but moved back to the Triad last Summer.

I owed him a trip being he's brought me along on some good floats

Boats were in the water around 12 20, and action was hot on the top at the faster ledge. 

Jeff started off flyrodding, but after 2 hours, he started throwing topwater,
gear and ended up boating about 40 fish.  I lost a ton of fish due to soft bites/poor hooking.

I managed to loose 3 15 inchers in the matter of 10 minutes in one spot.

Still a bang up day.  The fish were all quality size.

Kentucky spots are not hitting well due to spawning.  The ones caught were full of eggs.

There was still one smallmouth that was carrying eggs.

You cannot view this attachment.

Managed to make it into El Jarrito in Yadkinville for some very reasonably priced and delicious food before closing.

RiverbumCO

That's a promising report from the local.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Onslow

Quote from: RiverbumCO on May 27, 2023, 07:11:41 AMThat's a promising report from the local.

There is no better place to be on a warm day in October or November.  Unlike the Cape Fear, the Kentucky spots in this river are stout, hungry, and as thick as fleas. Mack claims spots will bite all Winter, and yes, I've seen peeps pull them out of the river in Jan while doing the riparian walks near my house. It seems the only time of year the bite is slow for them is now.

Being the NCWRC does provides little data to the public concerning this river, I plan to start exploring well below the usual places provided clear water days exist.