News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Sunday Goofin

Started by Onslow, May 07, 2023, 19:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Finally got around to getting in the boats for some slacking time on one of the many local flows.  Probably bit off more than I should've since we did not get started until 11.  Total river miles would be around 7.5

Watershed size for this river is 120-135 square miles.  Since this watershed drains a large portion of the the BR, it holds water well.

No developed access at the put-in. It was somewhat challenging to launch a Disco 119 and my son's kayak that is not outfitted to the hilt for fishing.  Launching a raft, toon, or tricked out fishing kayak would be near impossible.  This is why I don't full around with rafts, toons, and other overloaded beast barges.

You cannot view this attachment.

First small jaws of 2023.  Tis a sign of a good season.  Caught this one in slack water right beside a pile of flotsam.

The first 1.5 mile segment was low gradient water after which, the gradient picks up, and the river widens a bit.  I had to keep things moving, but I did stop at one picturesque area with several good pools to really work the water.  Moved many good fish.  Caught redbreast and rainbows as well.

Best fighter of the day.

I caught three male fish, and about 6 female, all of which were laden with eggs.  This was really unexpected.  The water was very cold, like in the mid-upper 50s. The water was colder than any brookie stream I've fished in the last 2 months.

About a mile above the confluence, rain started to fall.  The fish quit for a spell, but I was able to catch a couple more below the section with all the rapids.

Managed to pick up a Kentucky Spot as well below the confluence.  I really wasn't fishing at this point.

.8 of an inch in the rain gage at the house.  This wasn't supposed to be a rain day!  Can't complain, it was a splendid day.

trout-r-us

Nice day.
Nice fish.
Great company.
Can't beat that.
👍
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Ronbo

Seeing this post makes me smile.  25 years ago I decided to teach myself to fish with a fly rod on that very stretch.  Spent the next 5 summers fishing it heavily and catching many sunfish and smallmouth bass.  Glad to see it is producing well, and glad you guys had a good trip.  Makes me want to revisit some of my old hunting grounds.  Good job.

Onslow

Quote from: Ronbo on May 08, 2023, 06:37:57 AMSeeing this post makes me smile.  25 years ago I decided to teach myself to fish with a fly rod on that very stretch.  Spent the next 5 summers fishing it heavily and catching many sunfish and smallmouth bass.  Glad to see it is producing well, and glad you guys had a good trip.  Makes me want to revisit some of my old hunting grounds.  Good job.

Most of the trips to this stream in recent years involve one hour quick hits at the accessible areas. The only other time I've floated the upper section was a mid Winter Carolina Canoe Club outing I led back in 1995. Water was clear as gin, and looked skinny.

As stated in the report, I had to keep things moving, and was mostly bombing streamers from the canoe, and all of the smallmouth caught were from the canoe.
Several strikes were missed by fish in the 15-17 range.  This stream is doing well and I'm smiling as well.

I wish the rainbows would get lost.