News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Meatless

Started by Onslow, April 21, 2023, 19:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on April 24, 2023, 10:45:35 AMI still have yet to encounter a rattler.

I've seen one fat rattler in Stone Mountain and another one on Basin Creek
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutboy_II

A few years ago, TroutGirl and I saw a 6-7' Timber rattler sunning itself stretched across a paved portion of the FSR 475 just up from up the Davidson hatchery damn heading towards Balsam Grove.  Sucker was beautiful, dark and fat.  We watched it for a while from the car (!)  :Dance .  Don't think we would have stuck around so long watching it if on foot.  It finally headed off into the grass.  I feel pretty solid on the length in that it was stretched out on the asphalt.  Looked like it had eaten recently - was fat - at least 8" around or more.  Beautiful, but scary!

And what is it about water snakes that they always want to swim between your legs?  Makes my hopping around even more ridiculous than it would be if I saw it in the distance!

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Dee-Vo

Stone Mountain is loaded with rattlers. I've seen two on Garden alone, not to mention a water snake that one of them was cuddled up with in the sun. I've seen black snakes and a few ringnecks in that area, too. The water snakes around that main road through the park are fat and sassy, seen plenty of those, too.

Phil

Years ago, I was climbing boulders (with the rod in one hand) on the very steep upper reaches of Upper Creek -- pulled myself up a boulder, my head came up to the top, and a large timber rattler was right there at eye level looking at me, coiled, and started to rattle. Maybe 18 inches or so from my face. I don't remember how I managed not to fall down a LONG way; I was scared shitless.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Phil on April 24, 2023, 16:09:54 PMYears ago, I was climbing boulders (with the rod in one hand) on the very steep upper reaches of Upper Creek -- pulled myself up a boulder, my head came up to the top, and a large timber rattler was right there at eye level looking at me, coiled, and started to rattle. Maybe 18 inches or so from my face. I don't remember how I managed not to fall down a LONG way; I was scared shitless.

I bet the snake was scared when it saw you too.  :o  :cheers I had the same thing almost happen to me. I was working my way around a log jam and stepped up on a log and I heard the buzzing of the rattles. I had an unexpected urge to junkie.  -p-
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

I forgot to mention the rattlesnake that was atop a downed tree on the Black River in Eastern NC., also saw a HUGE water moccasin on that 3 day trip though the black water swamps
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jwgnc

Lot's of Hognose snakes around the South Branch of the Au Sable.  They like to think they are Cobras.  Harmless to humans, they'll play dead when scared.You cannot view this attachment.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.