News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Shad 2023

Started by ryguy, March 17, 2023, 16:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryguy

Last spring I sold my 13' raft frame since I didn't have a raft, and wasn't really in a position where running shuttles on floats was realistic.  Richmond isn't exactly known for float trips to fish, whereas motor boats are widely used.  After a summer of canoe trips, smallmouth fishing, and trying to get my daughter interested in catching fish, I had the idea of getting a jon boat and trying to do shorter trips locally.  Found one in November, and took it out today on a shake down cruise.  Shad are running, Stripers not far behind.  Water cooled off with the weather so the bite has not really started.  Hopefully soon.

Still cool to see the skyline from the river.

You cannot view this attachment.

The guy I bought the boat from named it "Third times the charm"... found out it's due to 3 marriages, so the names going to get an update.

I should probably buy a lotto ticket...

Saw about 6 other boats, didn't see anyone catching as the wind picked up and the rain started.  Ran back down river and picked my daughter up from school.  Hopefully some warm weather hits and we get a good shad run.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: ryguy on March 17, 2023, 16:51:26 PMSaw about 6 other boats, didn't see anyone catching

I would assume that @itieuglyflies wasn't out!  V:;
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ryguy

Only saw 1 other fly fisherman.  Did see a nice Hog Island boat cruising around but no catching!

trout-r-us

Did you happen to check water temperature.
Reading upstream at Cartersville still looking a little chilly.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Dougfish

Quote from: ryguy on March 17, 2023, 18:10:48 PMOnly saw 1 other fly fisherman.  Did see a nice Hog Island boat cruising around but no catching!

Itieuglyflies has a 14' Jon, side console, 40 hp Yamaha, looks like he knows what he's doing (cause he does!)
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ryguy

Did not check the water temp, before or during the trip.  I had the day off from work and wanted to make sure the boat got out.  10 day forecast shows good weather starting Wednesday where we don't dip into the 30s at night.

itieuglyflies

What's a shad? ..........however, I think I caught one at band camp when I was thirteen.

Onslow

Spring is still young.  Hope circumstances improve.

trout-r-us

Gettin' about right on the Roanoke.

p.s. I haven't been down there this year. Just some old photos for inspiration.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus