Suckin on the SoHo... again....

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 25, 2023, 11:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

23-11

I've not been over the hill to the S. Holston in a while and its been even longer than that since the last time I floated it, but when I got an invite, I scrambled to get things in order so I could float at least one of the three days planed by @Dougfish and @Rhody.

I got over early and stopped in the new fly shop mainly for a sandwich for lunch, but I picked up some supplies while I was there.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I was surprised to see that it was a full service operation.

Doug and I hung out in the parking lot and drank a beer while we waited for Jamie to show up.

We nyphed up some fish from above the bridge. The TVA had been sluicing at 1500 but when they heard we were coming over they opened it up to 2800.

All I have to say about the rest of the float was that there was beer and food. The fish were glued to the bottom, and we weren't sticking them in the face.

Doug and Jamie convoed about their plant fetishes and I sat in the back and drank some tasty brews.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

You'll hang out with anyone won't you?  :cheers  :laugh:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Dougfish

11 - 13

As the fearless leader reported....
It sukked.
Thanks for all the water TVA.  n!n
The lake is down 17 ft, arms of the lake are unusable,
but hey,  lets send a big slug of water of downstream.

You cannot view this attachment.

Keith left after day one. I had a bump and a couple of streamer swipes on day two.
We went over to the Watuga on day 3 and fished the full generation there.
Nada. Bugs coming off in places, no action.
And we got rained on.

You cannot view this attachment.

:cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

streamereater_101691

obviously y'all left the 8wts at home

troutboy_II

Does "new" fly shop mean Rod and Matt?  Bought my second rod from Rod over 20 years ago when they were still in Charlotte (or near there) after meeting him at a show in Charlotte. I think Matt may have already moved to the SoHo by then.

Drove up 1/2 way from Greenville to CLT to meet him and test cast some rods in a convenience store parking lot. Still use the St Croix Legend 3 wt as my go to small stream rod.

Good folks. But I digress...

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Fishbug

As far as not catching fish goes:
Not catching in a boat > not catching wading > not catching cause your not fishing.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 26, 2023, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on February 25, 2023, 20:58:37 PMobviously y'all left the 8wts at home

Was not expecting 2800

Gotta be ready for it all with those bozos running the dam. I take a dredger line and 8wt every time. Even at 2200.