Flailing, Flunking, and Flanking on the Serpent

Started by Onslow, January 30, 2023, 18:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

The last 14 years, I've devoted much time to exploring water.  I rarely ever fish a stretch more than once every two years if they're great, and more often than not, I only fish a beat once.  I dabbled a bit about 6 years ago on this more isolated piece of special reg water located on private land, and according to managing agency, the designated portion ends at a certain branch.  There is much remote water above said branch, and I suspected this was simply an arbitrary stopping point being there was no public access.

I went up to the branch 6 years ago on a snowy day, and did fairly well given the circumstances, and given I was on the water for just over an hour.  Erik and I had discussed going up higher, but the creek glades out at the branch, and turns into a brushy briary tunnel. While the creek clearly does not gorge out further up per topo, I did notice the streambed gradient (fall) wasn't shabby for this part of the world.  No clues are anything visible via sat imagery.

Today seemed to be a good day to revisit this stream, and push up a bit.  I was hoping the warming temps would trigger a late afternoon munchfest resulting in some tugs and with some grins replacing the permanent scowl.

Arrived about 11 30is, and proceeded to a confluence, but as I neared, there was a posted sign right at the mowed easement.  I turned my head and tried to unsee what I just saw, and continued.  I worked my way of the smaller stream above the confluence, and worked my way up to the branch. The stream is pretty in the Winter, and prettier than I remembered. More plywood rectangles were observed, but I could not see anything from where I was wading. My soul was cleansed with a dirty sponge, and I continued.

Yay

You cannot view this attachment.

Lost a 14 incher not far up after catching this one.

Tried to befriend the deer.  It watched me a bit.

After passing the branch or designation boundary, a bunch of atv trails were seen, and fresh, as well as some rather large fresh coyote tracks.  However, the land tightened up a bit , and all signs of human intrusion disappeared for at least a half mile.

The water gradually improved and became ledgy again.

Holy hole, but no Leroy. Damn

Redd

What was encountered was almost a mile of really good water.  I caught another pune, but I could not believe the fish weren't cooperating.  A thick cloud deck to roll in making it dim and cool.  I had to bug out early since my wife is under the weather, and there was not sufficient provisions available in the fridge for supper. I stopped at 2400' I suspect the munching fired up around 4 30.

When indulging in forbidden fruit, it is always wise to never go back from where you came. After reviewing the topo app, I found a really great shortcut back to the ride.

When you're worried about rhodo thickets are ending up in someone's backyard, always follow the yellow brick road.

Crossed the Little Serpent in less than a half an hour, and was outa there.  Sure beats backtracking 1.7 miles in the stream.

[

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!