News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New reel

Started by greg, December 28, 2022, 12:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

I haven't bought a new reel in 20 plus years. Santa brought me a new rod and I may splurge and get a new reel to go with it. What is the best thing going in reels now a days? Anybody try the or is anniversary CFO? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Rod is 5 weight

Stone-Man

Ross San Miguel.  About $500. That is my go-to reel.  Have fished it for approx 20 years and have never done anything but change the line.  Many other good reels out there such as Tibor and Okuma, but the whole Ross line is good.

Stone-Man

greg

Thanks. Will look into that.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Stone Man is right on.  I owned several Ross reels years ago.  I traded a friend for old CFOs.  Going through some sort of phase, I wanted all my reels to be the same.  I have several CFOs.  In fact, I don't know how many I have.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

greg

Right now I'm fishing lamson lps. Might try a Ross. Muddy you want to get rid of a CFO let me know. 😂

Dougfish

I'm fishing 50-80 y.o. reels.
Cheap. Solid. Click pawls.
Or you can get a $300-500 line holder.
 :Dance
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

For a 5wt (assuming trout) for a  new rod—Id prioritize:
1- Budget (no sense looking at $400+ reels if you cant stomach cost)
2- Color (match/accent rod)
3- Style (classic look vs modern)
4- Brand
5- Drag quality

Just make sure its left hand retrieve 😬

driver

As for a new reel, I generally like Lamson for the price for a reel with a drag. Or the Orvis Battenkill for a click/pawl reel.

Onslow

My vote is for Martin. Trout don't deserve anything better. Been fishing one for 2 years, and I have no shame.

Save the Ross reel for Carp.

Lamson Liquids don't have sufficient spool capacity for backing which may be necessary if one nails a 25 pound carp on the French Broad. Not sure about the other models.

trout-r-us

First time flyfishing I used a heavy cumbersome Pflueger automatic. In all the years since, I've only seen a couple similar to that out on the stream.

Now it seems these semi autos are the rage across the pond.  Much lighter than their old counterparts.
https://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/jmc-yoto-semi-automatic-fly-reel/

Good luck in your search.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Phil

I am pretty happy and impressed with the Echo "Ion" reel -- $79.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutboy_II

I didn't see what rod you got. Frankly, I would focus on what reels will balance the rod correctly. I like Lamson and Ross and used is fine. I assume that this is a line holder you're after rather than a reel with a drag that's important, so click and pawl will get the job done with "class"  'c;

I love old cfo and old colorado models and they are out there.

But balance the rod or as good as it looks, a reel that doesn't do so will be a pain every time you use it.

Mr $.02 since you asked.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Stone-Man

Just as a side note. I landed a 28 lb grass carp on that San Miguel. Certainly It went well into the backing and the drag performed flawlessly. I also landed a 17 lb mirror carp with that reel which also went into the backing.

99% of the time ,you will  not need anything more than a line holder , but when the time comes .............you know the rest of this story

Stone- Man

streamereater_101691

I've been a lamson fan for a long time, but their newer reels are just too light for mid-priced rods that aren't the lightest in their class. I like the orvis mirage lt reels and nautilus x series is hard to beat as well. I has to get the 5-7 mirage lt on my 5wt to get the balance I like. One good thing about orvis is you can take any rod to the store and try out different reels casting to see what you like.