on "wild" trout waters
4 (22.2%)
virtually online
1 (5.6%)
other
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Now this is fun!  Just what I needed before the silly season!

Someone needs to start a new thread on the pros and cons of planting trout in various settings. 

If the put and take program were limited to blueways and municipal lentic waters (and greenways with those air breathing terrestrial mutant trout) then we might not have some of the self-sustaining populations to occupy our passion.

And why do we disparage the "tailpipe sniffers" for following the truck, if they paid for the opportunity (license) and are following the letter of the game laws? 

And how many of us cut our teeth, learned the game, on put and take waters?  Good poll for the thread. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 07, 2022, 10:11:10 AMthen we might not have some of the self-sustaining populations to occupy our passion.

So here is a dirty little secret.  One of NC's most beloved streams named the Mitchell River is not a wild trout stream where it is currently open to the public. This very heavily used DH water is located on a piece of transition water where a few can survive over the Summer, but where no reproduction is taking place.  Yes, there are stories of 20 inch wild browns upstream, but that is upstream.

The Pigg river is what a put and take water should look like.  A relatively worthless piece of water at the edge of hill country too warm for wild trout, and too small for bass. Streams in city parks are great candidates as well. 

It makes very little sense to do put and take on top of wild fish from the human cultural perspective, and the fish. This is akin to making Holy rollers and Catholics worship together. 

Regarding the argument about bribing landowners with stockers to gain access, this can be overlooked to some extent, but  let's look at Kibler Valley.  Some please tell me just how many miles of this designated water can be fished that is NOT on the power plant property.  It ain't much. The public and the fisheries peeps are getting screwed here, Brush Creek, and many other streams.

Stocking fish in NF property should be banned, unless it is restoration effort.

Trout are no longer being stocked on BRP waters in NC.  NC made all NF streams special reg in the 90s.  WV and VA would be well served to do the same.

Phil

I had to vote "other" because I learned both on "put and take" and "wild" streams -- however, the stretch of NC Watauga river that I fished when learning 50 years ago, now put and take, had both wild and stocked fish in it. Boone's Fork was all wild back then. Now both areas are private pellet-fed waters. 

greg

I learned in the catch and release section of Davidson about 30 years ago. For the most part it's wild fish but some do get washed out of hatchery. Have t fished it in last 5 years or so. Too many people on it. It was crowed 39 years ago but now it's a disaster most of the time

Big J

Piss trickle brookie streams.  Started out learning how to fly fish on farm ponds in GA.  Then dived right into small stream wild trout.  First trout on a fly rod was a 7" brook trout a mile from a trail on an extremely bad example of a Royal Wulff I tied on an 8 wt fly rod. :laugh:   

jwgnc

I caught my first trout on a fly on the MasonTract of the South Branch of the Au Sable back when you could swing wet flies and catch (stocked) fish.  They stopped stocking the Au Sable watershed above the last dam in Mio around 1966.  I didn't begin to learn to fly fish until 20 years later on the Holy Water.

Aren't we all still learning?
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

Curtis Creek
Little River
Roaring River
Bullhead
Garden Creek
Smith River

So mostly stocked but with some wild fish
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Learned how to cast poppers and foam frogs in ponds in the low country and Tar river as a teen.

Moved to the hills in 2008, and reluctantly started cool water fishing with the long rod several years later.  Started streamer fishing the North Fork New and Little for trout, and the Little, Roaring, Fisher, Mitchell for smallmouth.

Moved on to nymphing later on the all the smaller local streams in SMP and other VA streams in Carroll and Patrick county.