News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Northern Alabama

Started by hoyawolf, November 26, 2022, 22:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoyawolf

Anyone know the best, or closest location to Huntsville, Alabama for chasing trout? I'm guessing north Georgia or Chattanooga area. Trying to get out after a few years away without any access.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ~ Bob Lawless.

Onslow

Almost every state has an interactive  trout stream map.

Are you there for the weekend, or is this your new place you call home?

Elk River TN is a tailwater that is relatively close. Tailwaters will be warmer. Hiwassee @ Reliance is running in the mid 50s.

Onslow

If this is your new home, consider picking up river bass fishing. Tons of rocky streams in that part of the world with all kinds of bass.  Coosa, Smallmouth, Alabama, and Shoal bass down in the SE part of the state.  Shoal bass fishing is the best flyrodding bass experience.

hoyawolf

My new home through summer '24. I will check out those waters above.

Now I just need to be home to go fishing :)
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ~ Bob Lawless.

Stone-Man

There are a bunch of creeks that run in to Smith Lake at Cullman. Lots of panfish and bass in those creeks.  Also in the north end of Eufaula Lake the Flint river runs into the lake. There are stupid size shoal bass in there. I'm talking 5-6 lbs

Stone-Man

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Onslow on November 27, 2022, 07:34:59 AMIf this is your new home, consider picking up river bass fishing. Tons of rocky streams in that part of the world with all kinds of bass.  Coosa, Smallmouth, Alabama, and Shoal bass down in the SE part of the state.  Shoal bass fishing is the best flyrodding bass experience.

This.  I've been following a few guys on IG that hunt various species of red eye bass on some BEAUTIFUL rocky streams in Alabama that I would love to explore.
Jeremiah 17:7

Woolly Bugger

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-orvis-fly-fishing-podcast/id278930814?i=1000569214424

You may have never heard of redeye bass or seen one. Yet they are a wonderful fly-rod fish. They live in spectacular, clear mountain streams and take a fly very well. They're mainly found in the deep South, particularly in Alabama, so they're a great fly-rod target in places where you would not ordinarily think of fly fishing. They're a native species that deserve more visibility from the fly-fishing community and my guest, Matthew Lewis [44:27], is perhaps the world expert on fly fishing for them
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Matthew Lewis couldn't find his his ass with both hands, a flashlight, and GPS.  :laugh:  :cheers  :wave  p;-
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: hcrum87hc on November 28, 2022, 08:42:53 AM
Quote from: Onslow on November 27, 2022, 07:34:59 AMIf this is your new home, consider picking up river bass fishing. Tons of rocky streams in that part of the world with all kinds of bass.  Coosa, Smallmouth, Alabama, and Shoal bass down in the SE part of the state.  Shoal bass fishing is the best flyrodding bass experience.

This.  I've been following a few guys on IG that hunt various species of red eye bass on some BEAUTIFUL rocky streams in Alabama that I would love to explore.

You've got some gooderns in SC.

Speaking of dodgy flows, check out the Little River between Keowee lake and Oconee Creek. I bet Little, Chauga, lower Estatoe, are well populated with Bartram bass. The Little at Tanyard bridge is stunning, at least when the water is clear. I hear the lower Horsepasture and Tox have em as well.

I'm all about largemouth.  Indulge while you can because they will be a threatened species in all rivers in 20 years.

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Onslow on November 28, 2022, 19:57:58 PM
Quote from: hcrum87hc on November 28, 2022, 08:42:53 AM

You've got some gooderns in SC.

Speaking of dodgy flows, check out the Little River between Keowee lake and Oconee Creek. I bet Little, Chauga, lower Estatoe, are well populated with Bartram bass. The Little at Tanyard bridge is stunning, at least when the water is clear. I hear the lower Horsepasture and Tox have em as well.

I'm all about largemouth.  Indulge while you can because they will be a threatened species in all rivers in 20 years.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've gotten after them twice on the Chattooga and Chauga with little luck.  I need to do it more, but it's hard for me not to hit super high elevation brookies in warmer weather when I have the chance.
Jeremiah 17:7

greg

Don't know about now but years ago most of chauga was hatchery supported. Locals knew when it was stocked and would be waiting on trucks. They cleaned it out fairly quick. It's been 30 or so years since I've been up there. It was around the grapevine area if I remember. Went up and met some friends for a night or two. Weather was good so I cowboy camped. Woke up one morning and to about 30 trucks around our site. They were all sitting around waiting on hatchery truck to show up.

AL trout bum

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on November 28, 2022, 14:58:14 PMMatthew Lewis couldn't find his his ass with both hands, a flashlight, and GPS.  :laugh:  :cheers  :wave  p;-

Well well well, if ain't our 'ol mangy, delinquent, transient grandfather....

I have wondered why you defriended me on the facebook.
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Trout Maharishi

I defriended you because you wouldn't stop asking for naked photos of my girlfriend. Just because she's a midget doesn't mean she doesn't have feelings. Why were you so interested in her feet?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

AL trout bum

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 01, 2022, 14:50:05 PMI defriended you because you wouldn't stop asking for naked photos of my girlfriend. Just because she's a midget doesn't mean she doesn't have feelings. Why were you so interested in her feet?

I have needs, man.
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."