News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Got your flu shot yet?

Started by troutboy_II, November 12, 2022, 13:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutboy_II

TroutGirl and I were in LA for 10 days visiting our youngest and his young family, getting back on Thursday. Both us us wound up with the real flu. Must be the first time for me and all the times I thought I had it before was just a bad cold. This stuff is miserable. I now can see how people die from this stuff. We're about half way through this and I haven't been this sick since forever.  Did get tamaflu which is supposed to shorten the time period, but no joy at this point.

So the point of this public service announcement is to suggest you seriously consider getting a flu shot. It won't guarantee you won't get the damn stuff (we both had the extra  strength old fart shot a few weeks ago), but it is supposed to make it not as bad if you do get it anyway. Frankly, I hope that is true because this majorly sucks as is and I can't imagine it much worse.

So, I will never refer to this as "a little flu" ever again.  This stuff is real. 

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

greg

Got my flu and the new Covid booster 2 weeks ago. My wife teaches and the local scHools have a good bit of flu going around. Apparently the state fair in Columbia was a major spreader. Heard a dr say all the case of flu he dad seen had one thing in common. They had all been to state fair. Damn stuff started early this year. Hope y'all get better soon.

Dougfish

Boost and flu shot done a few weeks ago.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutboy_II

I suspect our 8-year-old grandson was the carrier.  Their pediatrician didn't test him for flu since he was past the window to get Tamiflu.  Would have been nice to know... 

Almost stayed two more days because we felt so bad, but TG was supposedly negative on all tests and my doc-in-the-box said it was bronchitis.  When we got home, and I felt so much worse, I got tested and it was positive for Flu A (?).  We wore N-95 masks on the plane back anyway just in case we had something, so hopefully nobody got it from us!

Actually, feeling a little better this afternoon, so maybe the Tamiflu is working.

I thought it might have been from smoke inhalation from the smoke-filled cockpit on the way out there that caused our plane to divert to ABQ and land on one engine  :o .  But that's another story...

TB 

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

The Dude

Flu and RSV have been devastating hospitals around here for the past 1-2 months.  I've read articles where it is happening elsewhere around the country, as well.  In one case (in Oregon, I think), the hospital emergency room called 911 on itself requesting for fire department support to deal with all of the cases descending on the hospital.  Hospital staff was overwhelmed and couldn't keep up.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

greg

My son works at hospital in morganton and doing ICU rotation right now. He said they are slammed. Some Covid and a ton of flu and RSV. Seems it's bad everywhere.

hcrum87hc

Nope, and I never will again.  I've gotten the flu vaccine three times in my life, and immediately following it two of those times, I had a bout of Parsonage Turner Syndrome/Brachial Neuritis.  It's happened after a meningitis vaccine I got before going to Clemson as well.  For whatever reason, the immune response my body has to some vaccines wrecks some of the nerves in my brachial plexus.  It's absolutely terrible and not worth getting any more vaccines for me.  I have Crohn's disease, which is an autoimmune disease.  It may be connected, but nobody seems to know.

Having said that, I've never had the flu, but I understand it'll knock you on your butt real good.  My dad has had it twice and swears it's the worst he's ever felt. 
Jeremiah 17:7

Onslow

Some folks near have both covid and flu. 

I will be masking up again b';

Woolly Bugger

left arm @ 2:15 this afternoon....  :cheers  <-;:  d:b
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on November 14, 2022, 12:58:59 PMSome folks near have both covid and flu. 

I will be masking up again b';

I never quit. Grocery shopped today w/mask on.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

greg

Well I guess it had to happen. Tested positive for Covid today.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: greg on December 08, 2022, 13:52:32 PMWell I guess it had to happen. Tested positive for Covid today.

kick its ass and get better!

sooner or later I imagine we will all have a bout of it... I have a vaxxed / double boosted friend who has had it 3 times....

this shit ain't going away..

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 
me -There's a season?

greg

Had my omicron booster a little over a month ago. Hopefully that will help.

Phil

I just got over covid, got it on Thanksgiving. Fully vaxed, I hadn't gotten it once until now.