Tax Clients aren't all bad

Started by Big J, October 07, 2022, 08:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

About 8 years ago I tried accessing a stream that I knew had trout.  Unfortunately 80% of the fishable stream flows through private property and the small section in NF is skinny and not worth the effort.  Well, FastForward 8 years and the Partner at office gave me a client that owned a farm.  After seeing their address I knew it was on the road that a stocked stream is on but after talking with him, I found out he owned 500 acres and all the land of feeder I tried accessing years ago.  Told me to come up whenever to fish it and that in the 30 years he's owned it, it has only been fished a handful of times.  Most people are interested in his section with stocked trout.  So an appointment was set for me to meet him at his farm to get his taxes signed and then fish his stream.

Man is an interesting character.  He is in his 80's and his son does most of the farm operations.  Upon arriving I toured his farm, saw some of his lifestock, the curing room with lots of bacon and country ham hanging.  Received a dozen eggs, some darn good kimchi, fermented Jerusalem Artichoke, fresh roasted coffee and a couple homemade peperoni rolls to take on the stream (WV native who transplanted to VA).  Got the returns signed and headed to the stream.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It is a low elevation low gradient stream.  Numbers weren't impressive, but there were fish.  I don't think these are the most profiecent but producing waters due to low ph nature of these mountains, but this stream is full of rosy sided minnows.  Guessing they supplement the brookies diet once the brookies reach a good enough size.  Flipping rocks produced dismal results.  Took 25 rocks in different riffle sections before I found the first mayfly.  Did see a lot of roly poly like bugs under a lot of the rocks.  ID?

But the Fish seemed healthy.

Cool mill stones in the stream.  Farmer is currently in the works with a historian to find the old mill site and cataloging information on this.

Faintly see a Downy or Hairy woodpeck on base of tree.  I can never tell the difference between the two.

It was only about 2 hours of fishing, but it was much needed for my hectic life at the moment.  I informed the tax client that he would never have to travel to my office to get his taxes done again.  He laughed and said he appreciated that deal being in his 80's.

Dee-Vo

Very nice. I've worked out 'deals' with customers who knows how many times over the years regarding fishing/hunting opportunities.

The downy/hairy thing is tricky. Everything says check bill size difference, but, that's always easier said than done in the wild at any distance with a moving animal.

Nice report.

Woolly Bugger

Psephenidae (water penny)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout-r-us

Nice. Now that's what I call good job benefits. 👍
They've always said it's more about who ya know than what ya know. In your case it was what ya know that led to who ya know. 😁
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

Pretty cool happenstance.

Do you think the sampling of fish could be affected at all by spawning?  I think you'll def have to fish it again in the spring to compare results.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

The Dude

Quote from: Dougfish on October 09, 2022, 17:12:23 PMBravo. Millstones>Tires!

"Old tires are to brown trout streams as old millstones are to brookie streams"
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Fishbug

Big J

Quote from: The Dude on October 10, 2022, 09:21:27 AMPretty cool happenstance.

Do you think the sampling of fish could be affected at all by spawning?  I think you'll def have to fish it again in the spring to compare results.

I don't think those fish have spawned yet or started. Probably about a week or two out. Low elevation stream. Probably starting some spawny things now. Need to recheck bug life on that stream in spring.