Main Menu

Things Looking Up

Started by trout-r-us, October 01, 2022, 08:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

Gas prices under three bucks.
I Bonds at 9.6%
CD rates inching up.
Lots of Stock prices approaching reasonable buy levels.
Football season is underway.
Fish are munching.

Life is good.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

itieuglyflies

Seems like you only left out what a great job you think Brandon and his handlers are doing.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: itieuglyflies on October 01, 2022, 15:10:41 PMSeems like you only left out what a great job you think Brandon and his handlers are doing.

I don't follow NASCAR, but I have friends that do.

#68, Brandon Brown does not seem to be doing all that well this year on the track.  His best finish was 3rd at New Hampshire Speedway, and he has 0 playoff points in 2022.  He and his handlers don't appear to be doing a great job. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Not sure if things are looking up, but I'm relieved Ian did not wash Appalachia away as Camille did in 1969.  2.5 of generally gentle rainfall here, and the rivers are mildly dirty, but far from muddy.  NC and VA truly are lucky.

Floods from a tropical system during 1916 were so bad in the Catawba watershed, whole houses, barns, and cattle were observed flowing over the top of the newly constructed Lookout Shoals Dam.

troutboy_II

Or like Fred more recently...

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

streamereater_101691

Does $3/gallon gas really excite you? Going back up just fyi.

FlyChamps

Quote from: trout-r-us on October 01, 2022, 08:23:02 AMGas prices under three bucks.

Really? I got home yesterday from hunting in SD and MT - in multiple states we paid over $4.00 a gallon with the highest at $4.59.  Oil prices are headed up again and prices here in the Columbia area are $0.40+ higher than when I left two weeks ago.

Hold on to your hat because I suspect that a recession is near and unemployment is headed up.  I'm retired so it won't affect me.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

If you believe these numbers our (USA) average price is at $4 (US$ for US gallon).

Compared to much of the rest of the world, do we really have a reason to bitch?

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

FlyChamps

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 06, 2022, 18:21:08 PMIf you believe these numbers our (USA) average price is at $4 (US$ for US gallon).

Compared to much of the rest of the world, do we really have a reason to bitch?

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/
Yep, but it's not the price of the fuel but the taxes; in Europe the tax per equivalent US gallon ranges from a low of $1.53 in Bulgaria to a high of $3.39 in the Netherlands.  In Europe the fuel tax is not dedicated to road construction and maintenance but is part of the general fund.  They see driving as a luxury and tax the hell out of it.

Woolly Bugger

My idea from a few decades ago was to tax individual vehicles at the pump, based upon their fuel, efficiency and road wear — some sort of chips that would allow fuel-efficient vehicles to pay less in Road Taxes - and higher prices for larger fuel in efficient, vehicles, and trucks where there would be a exemption for businesses, or rebates on their taxes.

Much like my idea that airline fares should be paced upon personal weight, including luggage the more you weigh, the more you pay
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout-r-us

"The Social Security Administration is expected to announce its largest cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) to Social Security in four decades on Thursday, a move that could leave people living on the program with more income to deal with inflation.
It is expected that the hike will be 8.7 percent, a boost to the more than 70 million Americans benefitting from the program."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/know-week-social-security-cola-152532666.html
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

trout-r-us

― Heraclitus