News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Up and Down/In Circles

Started by Onslow, August 25, 2022, 17:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

The work schedule opened up a bit due to some postponed jobs. Three free days offered a much needed reprieve.  I've been almost too wore out to fish, and after a two  shitty hours on the water yesterday, I decided to get serious.

First order of business.  Sand those damn callouses so not to add stress to the bunion/inflamed joint.  I had a big day planned.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I went to a place at near proximity of a nature preserve.  The woods are old, and the woods are full of life, including bears. I knew of the issues ahead of time, and at my P & J sammiches before heading out to the woods. The jaunt would take 7 hours.  6 miles of hiking and wading, three hours of hiking, and four hours of fishing. The hiking is was without the benefit of trails.

Three different piles of poopage.

Shrumage is always good this time of year.

As I neared the place were fishing would commence, and inadvertently pulled off my buff with my readers propped on my head. Didn't realize my readers were on the ground somewhere, and they could not be found.  Well shit, now I cannot tie on anything small, and will struggle with leaders. Things weren't all bad.

The old white pines are huge.

Aside from the frustrations of tying on things blind, it wasn't a bad day. Walking up and down hills and ravines can be challenging at times, especially when patches of rhodo are encountered. 

Lots of punes, missed a ton of good fish. 

I've only fished this section one other time, and it was in the Spring when the water was slightly turbid and rather juicy.  Today I could place things properly due being able to see every rock detail. Most of the glory holes gave up fish, but a couple did not.  This river has potential for dry fly fishing due to its shallow water.  The cool thing about this beat is there are no trails anywhere going to the stream at at any point along this section.  It is just out there.....

Fuck getting old, and the Smith River.  I'm aging out of this business quickly.

itieuglyflies

Ken don't need no stinking Smiff river. Great photos and trouts....not so sure about the foot care

Dougfish

Lol. Go Ken. 'c;
Belt sanders rule.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutboy_II

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Onslow

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 25, 2022, 19:56:26 PM
Quote from: itieuglyflies on August 25, 2022, 18:25:07 PMKen don't need no stinking Smiff river. Great photos and trouts....not so sure about the foot care

You should see what he's done with his saw-saw.  :o  :laugh:

greg

I have a big Bosch 4x24 belt sander and some 40 grit belts that will really get the job done if you want to use it sometime. Dust bag has a huge hole but surely breathing your own dead skin would be no big deal. Heck of a day you had there.

Phil

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Yes, very cool report.

Belt sanders are an option, but may I suggest the Dremel 7700 Cordless Sander.  The belt sander is like using your 7+ weight bass rod on a meter wide brookie stream.  The Dremel is much better for intricate, up-close, refined foot care.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Ken gettin it. Those feet have seen some miles. Careful posting those because we all know Mudwall has a foot fetish.

driver

Stone-Man

Thanks for sharing a damn good day on the creek
What is the name of that red flower in your flicks- We have them here also

JT

Onslow

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006