2022 Smith River Sampling

Started by Al, July 24, 2022, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

If you didn't get the email, here is the writeup of the 2022 Sampling on the Smith River 

You cannot view this attachment.

Phil

Great article and info, Al. Hey, how come Woolly and Dougfish don't ever catch them Bigguns?  :laugh:

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Phil on July 24, 2022, 15:33:22 PMhow come Woolly and Dougfish don't ever catch them Bigguns?  :laugh:

Beats the hell outta me -  they aren't growing that big sipping sulfurs
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Come cold weather, I'll be hunting them.
Catching? We'll see.  :laugh:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 24, 2022, 18:27:01 PM
Quote from: Phil on July 24, 2022, 15:33:22 PMhow come Woolly and Dougfish don't ever catch them Bigguns?  :laugh:

Beats the hell outta me -  they aren't growing that big sipping sulfurs

Size 4-6 hooks and a bucket of creek chubs might do the trick. 🧐
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

streamereater_101691

Quote from: trout-r-us on July 25, 2022, 19:23:29 PMThanks for sharing Al and Alex. Great to see those numbers and some quality fish.

I would "guess" that the current collection method using the raft in higher flows would be more efficient than wading in low water like we used to do.
What do you guys think?

The low water collection method is a total joke. It's more of a census than sample. It takes a lot longer and is cost prohibitive now compared to the raft. The only class of fish we miss on the raft is the previous years fry. Everything else is "dipable" if you can grab them. It's a lot harder than it sounds when 50+ fish rise up in front of your face then swim away as quickly as they were stunned.
It would have taken us 2 weeks to do what we did in 2 days if we were low water sampling with the barges and backpacks.

Dougfish

As a primarily wade fisherman who gets around on the river, lots of fry this year.
Good recruitment this past winter. Back eddies, stream mouths, wood piles are full of fry.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Dougfish on July 25, 2022, 20:20:19 PMAs a primarily wade fisherman who gets around on the river, lots of fry this year.
Good recruitment this past winter. Back eddies, stream mouths, wood piles are full of fry.

Fortunately and unfortunately, yes. 2020 was the best spawn we've seen in a long time. The amount of 2020 age class fish is off the charts. Unfortunately, that's not good for the food source. Think of 2000's smith river size fish, all under 8". The river will head that direction if it's not gotten under control. I suggest everyone keep their brown trout limit when possible.
The other main question that has been addressed is "how far do they run up and spawn?, and do they go back downstream after spawning or hang around the same area?".
 Stay tuned, those questions and more are going to be looked into this fall.