News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Amadou Fly Drying Patches

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 04, 2022, 13:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I think this stuff is da bomb for drying drowned flies. Works great for CDC, Hackeled, and Hair flies. d:b

My first patch was an UMPQUA brand purchased form Sierra TP. The amadou was quite thin but still worked fairly well, the problem was that it became saturated during the day and became useless after many applications. The amadou ended up being compressed and ineffective after maybe 6 months of use.

Searching for another one I came across a good looking one, a Deluxe Amadou Patch, on ETSY or EBAY made by Kenny Nelson. The amadou is quite thick and I've had this patch for about a year and it is still going strong, but the amadou is starting to compress and show some age.

I've looked high and low for a replacement and found the standard Nelson patch on Little River Fly Shop's web page. I placed the order online but got a call the next day saying that they didn't have that one in stock and offered a substitution, which I declined. They went on to say that Nelson patches came from Romania and they could no longer get them.

Note the one's listed on ebay are overpriced @ $25 for the basic model....the deluxe was a little bigger and slightly different construction.

deluxe

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Question, is there a way to rejuvenate the amadou?

Do you know of a quality substitute for the thick Nelson patch?

jis axe'in
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

these look great, but I'm not spending $86 plus international shipping... <-;:

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Artificial chamois, something like Shamwow works just as good.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski