News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

All Over the Map

Started by Onslow, June 28, 2022, 16:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

There are a few beats within an hour from my house that look great, but have access issues.  With determination, anything is possible and these issues can be neutralized. Today's agenda was explore one of these beats.  I've been staring at this section for years, and after some scouting and weighing options, I pulled the trigger. This stream has shown me generosity higher up the watershed, and expectations were high.

I forgot to load the fishing clothes in the van, but there was pair of unwashed coveralls were in the van.  They were nasty, auto oil, red dirt from the crawlspace, and lots of insulation spray foam as well.  I was a sight. A black bear or bobcat would want probably have second thoughts about engaging.

The van was parked down on a small river 4 miles downstream of where the stream of interest flows in.  First task at hand was to bust out a ridge to get to the confluence.

Up and away

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I had no idea how bad the Rhodo was going to be on the other side of the ridge, but I was lucky today.  No issues making it to the starting point.

Rain the afternoon before had jacked up the level a bit, and there was just a tad of opaqueness in the water which obviously is a plus. At the confluence, I looked to the right and wondered, but worked the plan, and stayed left.

Fishing was slow.  The water was generally shallow, and pools were scarce.  The streambed was largely flat rock/quartz bottom with a few boulders and lots of rocks.  Not much in the way of long running cobble beds which are common a couple miles up, and 10 miles up the creek.  The results are telling.  Fish are skinny, few bugs, ...just generally sucky.

Along with the pictured catch, I caught a couple varieties of suckers, one of which had a well defined black band on its side.  Also caught two varieties of shiners, one of which and crimson fins.  Very pretty fish.

Oh snap! Smallie on #10 rubberlegs!

Local landowners way down the river are dumping stocker bows.  This one is finned out, and pulled good.

After almost 2 hours of nothing, I finally came across a good pool.  The current property owner was napping.  I tried three different approaches and nothing.

Things started picking up around noon.  Well past the halfway point.

Odd to see 4 trees growing out of a rock

I was getting a bit bummed out over the lack of quality water, and about the time hope was lost, I encountered an area of rocks that was jammed up with logs. below this line of boulders was a nice pool, and the logjam was impassible for fish.  I was expecting fish to be stacked up there. They were, and they were big.  I had three fish to get unglued. Two were definitely browns.  I changed things up that had a 1/0 hook. I caught a smallmouth, lost another big trout, then landed this one.

Missed a couple good fish above the log jam as well.

I could have gone up another quarter of a mile, and probably should've but I was getting tired.  There is branch on the left, and I would need to bug out at this point.

It was almost a 2 mile hike back to the van.  I had to bust out another ridge, and traverse land I had little knowledge of in terms of flora.  Opens woods, bueno. A rhodo hell situation would have been dreadful. Some of the hike was a little rough due to dead rhodo, but after busting the ridge, I lucked out.  There was an ATV path that nearly took me back to the van. As I crossed the small river 4 miles down from where I was earlier, and the sight of many juvi smallies lifted my spirits.

I probably will never fish this again.  I've wasted so much time staring at the maps and imagery wondering.  Another box checked.

Woolly Bugger

:Dance dayum look at Ken getting it done!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

'c;  :bow Lotso hiking and lotso fine fish to show for the effort. Well done, sir!

creakycane

Admirable effort and fish.  Lots of adventure to be had a car ride away, you don't have to go to Rockies or Canada.  Good on yah!

driver

Nice variety. Ken always makes fishing sound like work.

Stone-Man

Damn pretty fish and photos.  thanks for taking us along

JT

joe friday

Excellent!  Pretty Fish.  That's a day's work, right there.  thanks for the pics and story.

Support the BRFFF