News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Signs of Life

Started by Onslow, June 23, 2022, 19:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

It has been scary dry in Elkin lately with only .4" in the gage so far this month.  The veggie garden is requiring watering, and the blueberries are struggling.  Good news, the rivers are not carrying mud!  It has been a while since I've caught an east slope smallmouth.  I went out last year for a couple quickies, and was skunked both times.  Tried fishing a large New river trib in NC, and nothing.

All the to-do boxes were checked by noon, and I went out to a stream 20 minutes from the house. Did a bit of woods hiking to find a sweet spot.  Started fishing about 1:30.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It was heartening to see tons of fry, as well as juvi smallies swimming about.  It wasn't long before a fish was in hand. Small, but fish grow, and it will be large in a few years.

Caught a few more, but still no size.

After a period of slow fishing, I came upon a ledge with a very rock cataract below it. Deep water, big rocks, and swift current. At this point, I was swinging a WB, a very heavy #2, w/sink tip. WTH, a pune largemouth. Bass slam, lol.

As I pulled this little guy in, swarms of bass came whirled about. Hot damn, there is a pile of fish here.

Finally, after almost packing it in, this guy emerged from a deep crevice.  Not a 3 pounder, but I'll take it.

Once again, a dozen bass about a foot long came out to investigate as I brought it in. There must be 50 bass holding below this ledge. 

Wood structure wasn't holding anything worth catching.

Packed it in just before 5, hiked out, and was home around 6.  This kind of fishing is a little easier on the knees and hips. Maybe covered .7" of a mile.

Dee-Vo

Nice. I need to get at it myself.

Ronbo

Good to see some smaller fish, although I understand wanting something bigger.  I also have found that an olive bugger is hard to beat in smaller waters.

Stone-Man

Good stuff sir---------always like a struggle with a smallie

JT