News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Merlin Bird ID App

Started by Dee-Vo, June 19, 2022, 18:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

If you haven't tried this you need to get the app. It's pretty amazing.

You can take pics and get identification. But, coolest of all, you can turn on the recorder in the app and it'll listen and identify any bird it hears automatically and list them all until you turn it off. Just lay the phone down and let it work. 

It'll also highlight the ones from the list each time the bird sings each time.

Super cool and very accurate.

The neatest thing I've found in a good while.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/merlin-bird-id-by-cornell-lab/id773457673

trout-r-us

I particularly enjoy the sound data base that they make available. It has definitely dispelled much of what I thought I had known in the way of bird song identification. 🤔
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

The app does sound helpful.  I've never had or owned an app.  I am not even familiar with all the features on my old flip phone.  I can make and receive calls, text with one finger and one letter at a time, and set/turn off the alarm.  Every time I touch my wife's new fangled phone bad stuff happens and I get yelled at. 

My favorite is a 1966 "Birds of North America" (Golden Guide), with notes on locations and new names scribbled in the margins.  It will last me until I take the dirt nap.  I bought an old copy for the grandboy; he seems to like birds and all the pictures in the guide.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 20, 2022, 08:22:42 AMThe app does sound helpful.  I've never had or owned an app.  I am not even familiar with all the features on my old flip phone.  I can make and receive calls, text with one finger and one letter at a time, and set/turn off the alarm.  Every time I touch my wife's new fangled phone bad stuff happens and I get yelled at. 

My favorite is a 1966 "Birds of North America" (Golden Guide), with notes on locations and new names scribbled in the margins.  It will last me until I take the dirt nap.  I bought an old copy for the grandboy; he seems to like birds and all the pictures in the guide.

OK Boomer!  😁

I would guess a more recent edition would be much lighter to carry around. 🙁

https://www.audubon.org/news/north-america-has-lost-more-1-4-birds-last-50-years-new-study-says
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 20, 2022, 08:22:42 AMThe app does sound helpful.  I've never had or owned an app.  I am not even familiar with all the features on my old flip phone.  I can make and receive calls, text with one finger and one letter at a time, and set/turn off the alarm.  Every time I touch my wife's new fangled phone bad stuff happens and I get yelled at. 

Do you have an iPad or anything of that nature? Probably not....if so, you can use this with the app as well. If not, keep rocking the paper version. I have this small version that has served me so well over the years. I think at one point you may have mentioned your distaste for this author and his tactics for gaining nature photos.

https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Carolinas-Field-Guide-Second/dp/1591930669

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 20, 2022, 10:17:25 AMDo you have an iPad or anything of that nature? Probably not....if so, you can use this with the app as well. If not, keep rocking the paper version. I have this small version that has served me so well over the years. I think at one point you may have mentioned your distaste for this author and his tactics for gaining nature photos.

Nope, no iPad or anything close.  I do have a stack of these that I purchased in bulk at a great price before I retired.

I don't recall this bird author, but I am getting forgetful. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 20, 2022, 13:54:10 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 20, 2022, 10:17:25 AMDo you have an iPad or anything of that nature? Probably not....if so, you can use this with the app as well. If not, keep rocking the paper version. I have this small version that has served me so well over the years. I think at one point you may have mentioned your distaste for this author and his tactics for gaining nature photos.

Nope, no iPad or anything close. 

I'm very jealous. I've done away with all of my social media accounts permanently. This forum is about as far as I get. I'd love to get rid of my smart phone, maybe I will at some point, if I'm lucky.

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

jwgnc

Thanks for the tip.  I've used the Cornell site for years, but never tried the phone app.  

This trio plays for us most every night. 

You cannot view this attachment.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

I was going to give the call ID a try this evening but was interrupted by another angler.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 21, 2022, 21:15:51 PMI was going to give the call ID a try this evening but was interrupted by another angler.

Literally, just turn on the recording and lay the phone down somewhere or hang it on your pack or vest and it'll do it's job. Record as long as you'd like, then it'll list the birds it hears. After you stop the recording you can select the bird you're interested in on the list and it'll take you to the exact time spot on the recording that it picked the song up at and you can hear it for yourself. An excellent way to learn to ID by sound.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: jwgnc on June 21, 2022, 19:13:54 PMThanks for the tip.  I've used the Cornell site for years, but never tried the phone app. 

This trio plays for us most every night. 

You cannot view this attachment.

It's pretty awesome. This morning I had a wood thrush singing across the road from my house. Beautiful song.

I've been going out at night some to try to pick up some owl activity, no luck this far. I hear whip-poor-wills here and there though.