News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

African Safari – Day 1 & 2

Started by Al, July 05, 2023, 15:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I'm still alive - Just taking a different path right now. Still fishing but my balance is not that good so my wading days are over.  I just returned from an African safari which I blogged about on my Facebook page. I asked "Bossman" if I could copy and paste here to which he generously consented.

This was a great hunt and by most standards inexpensive. If any of you have hunted with a guide out west, in Canada or Alaska the total for my hunt with 16 animals on the ticket was a steal by comparison. I was treated like a visiting Royal and had 5 star accommodations – plus they made a big deal about my 84th birthday which was celebrated with them.

OK here we go – I'll try to include some photos at the end of each day. Not a computer geek so not sure how that will work out. I'll also wrap it up with cost and contact information if anyone is interested. 

African Safari – Day 1

I'm off on a honest to goodness African Safaris complete with PH (Professional Hunter), tracker, gun bearer and skinner. I've even got a good looking lady at my elbow. We're going to Namibia which is on the west coast of Africa, just a little north of South Africa. It is in the southern hemisphere which means this is their winter. I'm told it is cool, even cold in the morning and evening but warms up during the daytime.

I had a little (actually big), disruption in my original plan when my close friend canceled on me last week. She's about to become a grandmother for the first time and there may be a complication in the daughter-in-laws pregnancy. No worries, I totally understand. We put our heads together and asked a mutual friend if she would like to accompany me. It had to be someone with a passport, time, money and of course temperament to put up with me for two weeks. When I called she said "sure, as long as it is OK with our mutual friend I'll go". We're fine; my friend is taking us to the airport and will pick us up (if the grand-baby does not come early). It took some jumping through hoops with the airlines but we're getting on the plane this evening and will be on our way to the adventure of a lifetime.

I'll try to provide a daily or maybe every other day update. It's going to be a long flight with layovers, etc. We don't arrive until Tuesday morning. I'm told there is WiFi at safaris headquarters which is actually a huge sheep ranch with the son, our PH having access to 20-30 thousand acres of prime hunting land.

African Safari - Day 2. We are still enroute

Currently at Frankfurt airport. Both flights so far were delayed but we made our connection. Both flights also packed full. Long flight across pond but we are here. Waiting for our last airplane to roll up on the flight status board.

As I write this we got the flight info figured out. Had to take a tram to next terminal. Likely next post will be from Namibia. Hope we don't get delayed and have to spend night on cot. They have hundreds of then in the corridor between terminals.

Photos sent to me by PH prior to the hunt. Next photos will be ones taken by me.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.

Stone-Man

Just WOW---- What a pretty place. How do they get water to stand in that pool  ?
 My balance has left also- gonna change a few things to accommodate the problem.
 Looking forward to more of this trip  !!

JT

Al

Quote from: Stone-Man on July 05, 2023, 16:38:36 PMJust WOW---- What a pretty place. How do they get water to stand in that pool  ?
 My balance has left also- gonna change a few things to accommodate the problem.
 Looking forward to more of this trip  !!
  JT

They have a solar panel pump bringing up water from a drilled well. As you will see as the trip unfolds if you find water you will find the animals