News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Poor Choices

Started by Onslow, June 07, 2022, 06:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

I had planned on floating with my son Sunday to check on some things, but my wife had other plans.  I could afford to fish one more day, and the choices were tough.  I wanted to bass fish before the thermostat became set on hell. Initially, I had planned on fishing the first couple below Coleridge on the Deep.  This is probably the best Roanoke bass beat in the state now, mainly due to the size of the fish, But instead, I went down to High Falls.  Never fished here before.

First facepalm, went down the road 15 miles before realizing I'd forgotten to throw the paddle in the van.

First dumb choice of the day....getting the canoe down to the river at High Falls is rough, so I went down the road, found a trib that appeared to have enough water to drag the canoe across to get to the river.  I was curious about this stream anyway since the NCWRC stocked it with Roanoakes.  What I did find was a very rocky creek with very little flow.

You cannot view this attachment.

After finally reaching the river after dragging the boat a half mile, I noted the push water between the small drops in the river was different that some other rivers I've been to.  Much shallower, and less rock.  This probably means bass won't be feeding much in these areas.  Bald eagles are on patrol.

As I dug about to tie on things, I realized that my bass streamer box was left at the van.  I had thrown a tub of new whatnots in my hip sling, so at least I had those items. Tied on a white PE, couldn't by a strike. 

Tied on a signature intruder https://waterswest.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=267

Caught a 12 inch pune, lost a 15.  As I was exiting the pool, I threw it above a submerged rock ledge, and as I was pulling it on sink line 3-4' deep, something exploded from the bottom of the ledge, and the fish breached the surface with quite the water explosion, in a second, my leader broke, not at the knot, but 8 inches from the welded loop.  This bass was between 5-8 pounds. Not only had I lost the flyrodding bass of a lifetime, but this was the only intruder in the boat.  Two more were in the van. In hindsight, I should've hiked back to the van to get the other box.

By this time, the gars were coming out to feed.  They had a thing for white articulated streamers.  I generally try to avoid hooking up with them, but one insisted.  That damned thing thrashed and jumped.  I had a 34 inch gar beating the shit out of the water, what would this wretched thing do in my canoe?  I moved up closer to a rock, and beached it there.  None of the hooks were attached to the fish, so I whacked it with a fish net, and it let go.

Fishing became slow after loosing the Intruder.  I tried topwater spinning stuff, and anything that might would work from the flybox.  The only thing that could draw fish was an old #2 olive WB. Hooked a few on it, but after a couple head shakes, the bass would send it flying.

I did finally manage to catch one on the spinning outfit.

At 3 PM, I had to make my way back to the bridge.  I had made it down to the curve just past the elongated island. This is only half the territory I'd planned on covering.

As I neared the bridge, I fished two holes not fished in the morning since entered the river lower down. I hooked a three pounder on spinning topwater, but for some reason, the bass were in a very violent mood, this damn fish was out of the water more than in, shaking wildly, it threw it, as did the 2.5 pounder that I hooked shortly thereafter.

It appears one must dredge with clawdads, or crawfish imitations when fishing this river.  This I presume due to the gars ruling the surface.  I was shocked at the quantity and size of the gars here.  Not as big as the ones in the Neuse, but 4 footers were common.  No Roanoke bass here.  They must be confined to the dam pool, and are not nearly as established as the USGS says.

Perhaps fishing this in early April, or in November would make sense.  The gars are not as active in cooler months. There is only one warmwater river that I know of that does not have gar, and it makes a huge difference in how one fishes, and what one used.

Screw trying to float this river.  Access points here, and at Glendon suck.  Best thing to do is just wade it.

Dee-Vo

Clawdads, got to love them.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good work.

Fin

Where the carps?

Onslow

Quote from: Fin on June 07, 2022, 11:20:20 AMWhere the carps?

You should amuse yourself, and indulge in some gar fishing if you haven't already.  I could've caught a dozen with if I would've tried. A 4 footer is probably a handful.  The don't fit in nets well, and are quite rowdy.

Fin

I've only played around with a few smaller gar I encountered several years ago. Their visual, aggressive eats are certainly appealing but I wasn't all that impressed with their tug. Sporadic is probably the best way to describe it. They do occasionally get some nice air though. I'd be down...   

Onslow

I was taken aback by how damn wild the bass were.  Angel dust crazed. I can't imagine having a 6-7 pounder on the line. Some at other rivers with sore mouth seem to enjoy getting caught, not these.  I've heard rumors of 10 pound river bass, but I suspect they top out at 7 pounds.  Mack and Jeff I don't believe have ever caught any over 7.

Dee-Vo

I have been planning/talking about hitting the U for a few years now for the Nokes, never got there yet. Soon....