As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gun laws

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 02, 2022, 16:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agree or disagree

3-day waiting period
15 (62.5%)
Restrict or eliminate marketing (like tobacco)
6 (25%)
More "red flag" laws
11 (45.8%)
Restrictions on "assault style" weapons
12 (50%)
Require training
11 (45.8%)
Increase taxes to pay compensation for medical, law enforcement and victims
5 (20.8%)
None of the above
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Onslow

Could gun excess be merely a symptom of America's propensity towards gluttony?  We should've been taught about moderation whilst in our teen years, but America has lost control of its impulses. Does America need an extended period of acute deprivation to stop said gluttony for the well being/survival of the Union?

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 13, 2022, 08:16:28 AMWe've banned brass knuckles, nunchucks, butterfly knives, switchblades, and a host of firearms and ammunition. 

Why not ban the current weapon of choice when it comes to many of these deplorable killings?

As for the nut jobs out there, not for a second do I believe we have more mental crazies than we did 50 or 100 years ago.  What do we have?  Exposure, social media, and access to a lethal weapon of choice? 

Way more crazy people. The US population in 1922 was about 110 million, now there are 3 times that many people. Gotta be a whole lot more crazy people, plus I bet back in 1922 you didn't live as long if you were crazy. No safety net to catch you. The current weapon of choice for mass shootings is handguns. Mass shootings are also far more common than I though. We are averaging about 10 a week in America this year.  Chicago has had 16 mass shootings already this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022  The main stream media is misleading us about the weapon of choice thing. 77% of mass shooters used handguns.https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/public-mass-shootings-database-amasses-details-half-century-us-mass-shootings No way I'm buying that the love and worship of assualt weapons is the driving force behind mass shootings. No sane person shoots someone else for no reason, let alone kids.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

trout-r-us

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 13, 2022, 06:56:30 AMYou've already said it, "I personally would like to see all guns banned." Now tell me how you're going to do it effectively.

I'm just stating what I would like to see. I don't have the authority or knowledge to get it done.  All I can do is vote for those representatives that seem to represent my viewpoint.
I don't understand your apparent anger and condescending attitude toward folks with opinions that differ from your own.
If I said anything that personally offended you, it was unintentional and I apologize.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

streamereater_101691

Quote from: trout-r-us on June 13, 2022, 21:34:56 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 13, 2022, 06:56:30 AMYou've already said it, "I personally would like to see all guns banned." Now tell me how you're going to do it effectively.

I'm just stating what I would like to see. I don't have the authority or knowledge to get it done.  All I can do is vote for those representatives that seem to represent my viewpoint.
I don't understand your apparent anger and condescending attitude toward folks with opinions that differ from your own.
If I said anything that personally offended you, it was unintentional and I apologize.

No animosity toward you or your views, but using comedy sketches to somehow prove a point just doesn't fly with me. It seems as though they/you are making fun of the problem rather than coming up with a logical solution that everyone can agree with. I fully welcome everyone with differing opinions than mine, but you better be ready to back up your theories and opinions with something because discussion and rationalization are the only ways to fix problems in general, let alone this big one. Yes, it would be easy to ban guns, but are you/someone you elect going to go door to door and collect them? I think not..

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 13, 2022, 08:16:28 AMWe've banned brass knuckles, nunchucks, butterfly knives, switchblades, and a host of firearms and ammunition. 

Why not ban the current weapon of choice when it comes to many of these deplorable killings?

As for the nut jobs out there, not for a second do I believe we have more mental crazies than we did 50 or 100 years ago.  What do we have?  Exposure, social media, and access to a lethal weapon of choice?   

So if we ban the ar-15, the next weapon of choice will become whatever is closely available(m-14,m1a, remington 750) If we ban all semi-auto rifles, then you have a real problem because there are a ton of .22/17hmr semi auto rifles on the market, which are far less lethal than their higher powered counterparts. 30 round magazines can be purchased for handguns now easily..then you have to ban semi auto pistols, which includes revolvers..now what?..

I like your final question.

trout-r-us

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 14, 2022, 18:02:29 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on June 13, 2022, 21:34:56 PM

No animosity toward you or your views, but using comedy sketches to somehow prove a point just doesn't fly with me. It seems as though they/you are making fun of the problem rather than coming up with a logical solution that everyone can agree with. I fully welcome everyone with differing opinions than mine, but you better be ready to back up your theories and opinions with something because discussion and rationalization are the only ways to fix problems in general, let alone this big one. Yes, it would be easy to ban guns, but are you/someone you elect going to go door to door and collect them? I think not.

My opinion is that I don't see any problem with Klepper's representation of the training or lack thereof necessary to buy or carry a deadly weapon in public.
The recent arrest and conviction of a trained veteran police officer that shot and killed a guy with a real gun when she claims she thought she was using a taser sends me a message that if she was not prepared under that stressful situation after many hours of training and years of experience, I just don't feel very safe with non trained or lightly trained everyday citizens walking or driving around with guns.
And I don't understand what you mean when you say I better be ready to back up my opinions. If I express an opinion, that's pretty much it.

Peace
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 14, 2022, 18:13:39 PMSo if we ban the ar-15, the next weapon of choice will become whatever is closely available(m-14,m1a, remington 750) If we ban all semi-auto rifles, then you have a real problem because there are a ton of .22/17hmr semi auto rifles on the market, which are far less lethal than their higher powered counterparts. 30 round magazines can be purchased for handguns now easily..then you have to ban semi auto pistols, which includes revolvers..now what?..

I have no idea.  Hopefully someone smarter will figure it out.  My opinion only is we have too many guns and ease of access to guns.  I have nothing to "back up" my opinion other than U.S. vs other country stats.  Perhaps we (U.S.) have so many firearms we are past the point of correcting.

Shit fire and save matches, I'd give up all my multi capacity firearms if I thought it would make a difference.  That includes a few firearms I enjoy, the lever action Savage 99 in .250, the 2 Mossberg pump turkey guns, and my dad's old auto .22 Remington.  I would hope they might place them in the manufacture's show room or museum, but that really is not that important.  All I really need is a single shot.  A Henry, or Savage, or Stevens single shot turkey firearm would work for me.  The TC single shot in 7mm08 will do for any deer hunting I might do.  I value my custom-made turkey calls more than the Mossbergs.  Plus, I never get a second shot on game anyway.  If I miss, a "fuck me" follows, and I fail to chamber another round.  In fact, I don't know why I have any firearm that holds more than one round.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Op-Ed: As a gun-owning former teacher, I can tell you: Arming teachers will only amplify our woes

>>>Days ago, the governor of Ohio signed into law a bill that allows teachers to be armed after 24 hours of training. A very bad idea, I think. But who am I?

I am a retired teacher. A teacher who taught four elementary students whose mothers were murdered. A teacher with a fifth-grader in my Castroville, Calif., classroom who 18 years later went on a murderous rampage in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater. A teacher who has had too many former students go to prison for gang shootings. I also grew up with guns. I own two pistols and two rifles.

Arming teachers does not solve the problem — it amplifies it...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/op-ed-as-a-gun-owning-former-teacher-i-can-tell-you-arming-teachers-will-only-amplify-our-woes/ar-AAYA5nx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ee344140ec2348d7a6d21d6761350630
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 17, 2022, 11:23:45 AMOp-Ed: As a gun-owning former teacher, I can tell you: Arming teachers will only amplify our woes

>>>Days ago, the governor of Ohio signed into law a bill that allows teachers to be armed after 24 hours of training. A very bad idea, I think. But who am I?

I am a retired teacher. A teacher who taught four elementary students whose mothers were murdered. A teacher with a fifth-grader in my Castroville, Calif., classroom who 18 years later went on a murderous rampage in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater. A teacher who has had too many former students go to prison for gang shootings. I also grew up with guns. I own two pistols and two rifles.

Arming teachers does not solve the problem — it amplifies it...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/op-ed-as-a-gun-owning-former-teacher-i-can-tell-you-arming-teachers-will-only-amplify-our-woes/ar-AAYA5nx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ee344140ec2348d7a6d21d6761350630

I do not want a untrained scared teacher with a gun to defend anyone. A gun fight is hard enough for hard core trained law enforcement and armed forces.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Big J

Dumbest article I've read WB.  All of their "qualifiers" don't qualify them in the least to address the issue.  If a teacher wants to go through the training to have a gun in the classroom, I'm all for it.  Someone with that mindset and mentality is not going to be negligent, or at least the vast majority of them will not be.  Heck, have a requirement that it's locked in their classroom with a biometric safe or something. There is no reason to say you can have children walking around society with guns everywhere and it isn't a problem, but a teacher having one secured on them in a classroom makes it unsafe all of a sudden.  This isn't a mandate to make teachers armed.  That is stupid.  But if a teacher can pass some sort of proficiency test and mentality test in order to harden an area that is a source of target for evil, I do not find risk that outweigh the benefit.  That is if it's done in an appropriate manner.

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 17, 2022, 11:39:45 AMI do not want a untrained scared teacher with a gun to defend anyone. A gun fight is hard enough for hard core trained law enforcement and armed forces.

And here is another talking point I see perpetuated by people.  Why do people think a gun fight is this impossible task that only law enforcement and armed forces can handle?  How many grannies have popped an armed home intruder and punched his final ticket with a revolver or .22? Heck, most mass shooting incidents end as soon as the shooter encounters another gun.  FBI just released stats on active shooter situations.  61 incidents.  14 killed by law enforcement and 4 killed by civilians.  Now you say that is low but when you look at the overwhelming fact that the vast majority of active shooter events happen in gun free zones, that 6.5% of active shooters killed by a civilian is nothing to sneeze at.  Especially since law enforcement who has access to all these situation only killed 22.9% of them. 

Big J

And I'd be happy if we could at least agree on an armed resource officer at every school.  We guard all our "most important" things in this country with guns.  Banks, hospitals, politicians, politician's kids, sporting events, etc.  But people feel unsafe having an armed RSO at a school?  Makes no sense to me.  I say we give some of these politician's security detail budget to schools RSO funding if they can't find the money to do this.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Big J on June 17, 2022, 11:59:57 AMDumbest article I've read WB.  All of their "qualifiers" don't qualify them in the least to address the issue.  If a teacher wants to go through the training to have a gun in the classroom, I'm all for it.  Someone with that mindset and mentality is not going to be negligent, or at least the vast majority of them will not be.  Heck, have a requirement that it's locked in their classroom with a biometric safe or something. There is no reason to say you can have children walking around society with guns everywhere and it isn't a problem, but a teacher having one secured on them in a classroom makes it unsafe all of a sudden.  This isn't a mandate to make teachers armed.  That is stupid.  But if a teacher can pass some sort of proficiency test and mentality test in order to harden an area that is a source of target for evil, I do not find risk that outweigh the benefit.  That is if it's done in an appropriate manner.

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 17, 2022, 11:39:45 AMI do not want a untrained scared teacher with a gun to defend anyone. A gun fight is hard enough for hard core trained law enforcement and armed forces.

And here is another talking point I see perpetuated by people.  Why do people think a gun fight is this impossible task that only law enforcement and armed forces can handle?  How many grannies have popped an armed home intruder and punched his final ticket with a revolver or .22? Heck, most mass shooting incidents end as soon as the shooter encounters another gun.  FBI just released stats on active shooter situations.  61 incidents.  14 killed by law enforcement and 4 killed by civilians.  Now you say that is low but when you look at the overwhelming fact that the vast majority of active shooter events happen in gun free zones, that 6.5% of active shooters killed by a civilian is nothing to sneeze at.  Especially since law enforcement who has access to all these situation only killed 22.9% of them. 

I'm sure there are people who would be perfectly capable, but training and shooting paper targets at the range is one thing. Shooting someone while being shot at is a different story. Ask anyone who has been in a gun fight. I think it would be a great idea to have armed resource officers at every school. I think there are many other things we can do to harden school defenses as well.
― Charles Bukowski

Big J

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 17, 2022, 12:46:27 PMI'm sure there are people who would be perfectly capable, but training and shooting paper targets at the range is one thing. Shooting someone while being shot at is a different story. Ask anyone who has been in a gun fight. I think it would be a great idea to have armed resource officers at every school. I think there are many other things we can do to harden school defenses as well.

Hope I didn't come off sounding like I'm attacking you, just used your quote as an example of what I've been hearing.  Makes no sense to me.  You are basically saying "gun fights are hard, I'd rather you just be defenseless and leave it to someone else because you aren't capable.  Just hope the system doesn't fail you."  I'd rather go out around a pile of empty cases trying to safe the life of a kid if I was a teacher in a classroom than just hug the kids in a corner and tell them it'll be alright, the police will set up a perimeter for 1 hour while gunman goes back and forth between classrooms because some coward says "it's not an active shooter situation anymore" with shots being fired still.

Trout Maharishi

You're good, I respect your opinion :cheers I'm all for capable people defending those who can't. I'm not waiting on the cops, I'll shoot until I'm out of bullets.  d:b
― Charles Bukowski