News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Simms or Orvis LW boots

Started by Big J, January 02, 2020, 19:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Disclaimer: I kill boots and waders. Quickly. I'm rough and tumble.

2 1/2 years in, 150+ trips, I'm wearing the tops of the toes out. The sole on the side of one is coming loose. Some stud holes in the soles have wallowed out and won't retain a stud anymore.
Would I buy again, yes.
Will be pulling the trigger in a few months, more than likely.
The fit is good. Order one size up
I have worn out a lot of other boots faster. Non stream traction is very good. Stream traction is not as good as felt, but I have adjusted and almost always use a staff.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Dougfish on January 01, 2024, 16:35:06 PMDisclaimer: I kill boots and waders. Quickly. I'm rough and tumble.

2 1/2 years in, 150+ trips, I'm wearing the tops of the toes out. The sole on the side of one is coming loose. Some stud holes in the soles have wallowed out and won't retain a stud anymore.
Would I buy again, yes.
Will be pulling the trigger in a few months, more than likely.
The fit is good. Order one size up
I have worn out a lot of other boots faster. Non stream traction is very good. Stream traction is not as good as felt, but I have adjusted and almost always use a staff.

I can attest. Mine are 2 years. One pair with studs and one without. One size up is a key. I wear a 10 shoe and need a 11 boot. Better shop fast, new spring line is coming.

Dougfish

You cannot view this attachment.

d:b     
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

I ended up purchasing a pair of Redington benchmark boots with rubber soles.  Not exactly lightweight, but I need a big toe box. Will compose a review later.

Phil

Forgive me for asking, but why not ol'felt soles with studs? Boy, they sure grip better than rubber for this old guy. I do dip them in clorox water after use on streams with didymo....

Dougfish

Quote from: Phil on January 09, 2024, 17:45:30 PMForgive me for asking, but why not ol'felt soles with studs? Boy, they sure grip better than rubber for this old guy. I do dip them in clorox water after use on streams with didymo....

I loved felt. Loved. Loooved.
This old guy quit felt because:

No snow traction.
Poor mud/slick slope traction.
Some states outlawing it.
I've thrown two felt soles. If it had happened miles in on the trail...
Rubber soles have evolved. Much stickier.
Still using studs.
My wading has slowed down. I'm more careful by default.
I rarely fish without a staff.

To each, his own.
Your miles may vary.

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Phil

Quote from: Dougfish on January 09, 2024, 19:33:22 PM
Quote from: Phil on January 09, 2024, 17:45:30 PMForgive me for asking, but why not ol'felt soles with studs? Boy, they sure grip better than rubber for this old guy. I do dip them in clorox water after use on streams with didymo....

No snow traction.
Still using studs.

To each, his own.
Your miles may vary.

Ok, some of that I can get. You say they've evolved? Hmmm. I haven't tried any in about 10 years.

Dougfish

And they are lighter.
Every pound you take off your shoes, equals 5 pounds off a load on your back.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

Quote from: Dougfish on January 09, 2024, 19:33:22 PM

No snow traction.
Still using studs.

To each, his own.
Your miles may vary.

Spring of 2023 while making my way down a steep grassy embankment, my felt shoes came out from under me not far above some basketball size rip rap. My feet hit the rocks while I was travelling considerable speed, maybe 8 mph while sliding on my arse. This seemingly minor incident caused considerable pain, and probably nearly broke my ankle.

I'm done with felt as well.

I have to be mindful the shape of the toebox.  Bunions, Morton's neuroma and wading don't mix well. I press on anyway. I may try the Orvis boot someday provided I'm still able to wade at all.