Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX Fly Line on Sierra

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 17, 2022, 10:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 24, 2022, 09:27:51 AM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 21, 2022, 18:42:22 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 21, 2022, 08:26:45 AM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 20, 2022, 22:46:04 PM
Quote from: Phil on May 20, 2022, 13:44:56 PMI dunno if I'm a good enough caster for a "quality" line @ $35 and a "Better quality" line @ $100 to make much difference. 

$39 is the discounted/discontinued price. $69 was the normal price. If you don't need a 7wt line to cast a 5wt rod, you will be able to notice the difference between the two.

Listened to Shawn Combs (Head of Orvis Product Development), on the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcase, and now I'm convinced that I need a Helios 3 rod  :Dance  _

Cast a Scott centric or radian and you'll never buy any "whorvis" junk again. BTW orvis lines and SA lines are made in the same plant out of the same material, just slightly different tapers.
Quote from: Phil on May 20, 2022, 13:44:56 PMI dunno if I'm a good enough caster for a "quality" line @ $35 and a "Better quality" line @ $100 to make much difference. 

$39 is the discounted/discontinued price. $69 was the normal price. If you don't need a 7wt line to cast a 5wt rod, you will be able to notice the difference between the two.

Listened to Shawn Combs (Head of Orvis Product Development), on the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcase, and now I'm convinced that I need a Helios 3 rod  :Dance  _

Cast a Scott centric or radian and you'll never buy any "whorvis" junk again. BTW orvis lines and SA lines are made in the same plant out of the same material, just slightly different tapers.

Look at Alex getting all pretentious and snobby...   V:;  :Dance  :;!  :;!

Truth hurts bossman. They claim to be so good, but only "orvis endorsed" guides use their products at a severely discounted rate.

driver

Put Sage in that junk pile as well. All they make are dead broomsticks now. I miss the old sage rods.

Dee-Vo

Purchased Royal Wulff Nymph new fly line this evening at the fly shop. Also got a new Echo reel to replace the one I've been using. Old one was absolutely worn out. Looking forward to getting it wet.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: driver on May 26, 2022, 17:31:03 PM

Put Sage in that junk pile as well. All they make are dead broomsticks now. I miss the old sage rods.

No joke. The z-axis and xp were heavenly.

troutboy_II

I will be buried (well, burned up) with my XP 5wt!  Just works for me.  That being said, I did not like the XP 3wt I later bought and sold within a year of it hanging around unused.

Lesson for me was to find what feels best and, when you do, quit pining away for every new rod on the market.

My$.02.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Phil

Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 27, 2022, 20:33:47 PMPurchased Royal Wulff Nymph new fly line this evening at the fly shop. Also got a new Echo reel to replace the one I've been using. Old was absolutely worn out. Looking forward to getting it wet.

I recently got an Echo Ion ($75) reel -- it's a great reel.  :cheers  Got the Mastery GPX line delivered today. $35 + tax w/ free shipping. I don't care if their new Amplitude $100 line is "better," this one will work just fine for me.  Thx again for the link, Bossman.

FlyChamps

I received my 5wt and 6wt GPX lines from Sierra today.  Yes, there may be better lines but these will be just fine for me because they replace lines that were much lower grade than the GPX.  My only complaint is that they don't have 3wt and 7wt lines because my old lower grade lines on those outfits also need replacing and, since I only use them rarely, it's not worth spending a lot of money for new lines.

trout-r-us

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 20, 2022, 11:36:17 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 20, 2022, 10:46:02 AMI've been using that line for a long time with no problem at all — what's your beef streamereater?

I fished both lines side by side on similar rods one day. The more $$ line floated better in moving water, was less likely to get pulled under, has color indication for the head/running line(judging distance), and has a very small texture that shoots through the guides better along with feel...just my opinion.
I've found that I can fish a more expensive line/cheeper rod combo better than a cheaper line/expensive rod combo if that makes sense.

Alex, you first mentioned Amplitude Smooth and then mention very small texture. So does the smooth have texture, or does only the textured ($29 more with black label) have texture?
https://www.scientificanglers.com/product-category/fly-lines/
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

streamereater_101691

Quote from: trout-r-us on May 29, 2022, 07:58:54 AM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 20, 2022, 11:36:17 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 20, 2022, 10:46:02 AMI've been using that line for a long time with no problem at all — what's your beef streamereater?

I fished both lines side by side on similar rods one day. The more $$ line floated better in moving water, was less likely to get pulled under, has color indication for the head/running line(judging distance), and has a very small texture that shoots through the guides better along with feel...just my opinion.
I've found that I can fish a more expensive line/cheeper rod combo better than a cheaper line/expensive rod combo if that makes sense.

Alex, you first mentioned Amplitude Smooth and then mention very small texture. So does the smooth have texture, or does only the textured ($29 more with black label) have texture?
https://www.scientificanglers.com/product-category/fly-lines/

Correct. The amplitude smooth(red box) has a very fine texture. The black box has a heavy texture that makes noise through the guides. It'll also tear your fingers up if you hook a large fish. You'll be able to cast further with the black box, but I prefer the smooth line.