Fiesta La Cucaracha With A Side of Butter

Started by Onslow, May 04, 2022, 17:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Headed off to the hills to a place I've wanted to fish for about 30 years, and finally got around to it. I went a couple years ago, but upon my arrival then, the creek was raging due to stationary localized storms dumping untold amounts of rain in the watershed. Things have been dry recently, but full puddles were present all over the nearest town. Ominous clouds towered towards the heavens. Thankfully, I could bug out of the gorge if I needed to if water rose quickly.

I had no idea what to expect. Water seems juicy, but manageable. I had not moved past the roadside pull off, and fish were hammering my goods. Action was non stop. Moved up past a couple houses, one of which had a fish cleaning table 30' from the creek. One older fella was on his porch.  Wasn't sure how he was going to respond to me fishing in his front yard, but he was cool. We talked a bit, and headed up.

You cannot view this attachment.

I need to find out what this is.  Came across ramps (first sighting in NC), lady slippers (not blooming), geranium, nodding trillium, dwarf crested iris, and many others.  The main even was the geranium.

This pool....I had left all my streamers in the van.  I tried to fish this pool, hooked a bunch, landed a few.  A 14" brown was fought and lost just downstream. As buggy as this stream is, I suspect this pool harbors some beasts.

This was a 10-20 fish per hour day. Started around 8:30, and called it quits just after two. My feet were done, I was tired, I had lost so many rigs from failed hook setting.  I wanna do this again.

Although there is some sketch in the area, I did not hear any banjo music.  I did love this burned out vehicle right on a trail, lol.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

greg

Hell of a lot better than my day. Well done.

Phil

Big J

Dee-Vo

Sizable, attractive water! Nice work and glad you finally got there. I'm intrigued.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

bmadd

Those fish appear to be eating good. Nice!

hcrum87hc

Very nice!  Some thick shoulders on those fish.  I left my streamer box at home on my last trip.  Kicked myself for that.
Jeremiah 17:7