My best mountain goat impression

Started by hcrum87hc, May 03, 2022, 22:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcrum87hc

I've been dying to get out lately with all of this beautiful weather, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself until this week.  I'm getting the big snip on Friday, so I was able to justify a last hurrah for the fully intact boys this week. 

I had originally planned to hit the lower section of a medium sized tributary to this stream much farther downstream (I've hit the upper section before with great success), but when I arrived, there were already several cars parked at the closed FS gate.  I was running later than I wanted due to having to take the girls to daycare this morning. 

I decided to call an audible and head up (way up) the road to hit this water, which has intrigued me for a while, but I kept finding other places to try out.  I had planned to go a little farther up than I did before starting, but I found a nice looking pull off fairly close to the water and walked back down the road a little ways before sliding/bushwhacking my way down to the river.

Ahhhh there it is.
You cannot view this attachment.

Photo dump incoming.  I knew there'd be some gradient here, but it was definitely the steepest, toughest "wading" I've done.  I think the beauty made up for it.  The stream consisted of a some smaller holes and runs, along with some serious deep, large holes.  I couldn't dredge anything out of any of them, much to my dismay.  I figured it was going to be a pretty productive day, but only managed one to hand.  I had two others take the dropper, but didn't make it to hand.  Every hit was on the dropper.  The hits I could see were very slow, and I'd have never known they hit if I didn't see it.  No tugging, just a sip of the dropper and they'd sit still until I tugged.

I don't know if the numbers are low here, or if the floods last year had something to do with it, or if I just suck.  Maybe one of you who is more familiar with this stream could chime in here or a DM.

The two missed fish were in this run in the foreground.

These guys will always amaze me.  I snagged him on the far side of the river upstream from me.  When I released him, I watched him go back to the exact spot I hooked him. Astounding.

I thought I'd be going swimming here, but there was an underwater ledge along the rock on the left, thankfully.

Jeremiah 17:7

Onslow

Wow, some awesome scenery there. The struggle w/brookies is real, at least in Carolina. Thanks for sharing.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Dee-Vo

Love that rocky, high-up scenery. I've experienced the same -- looks can be deceiving when it comes to fish numbers.

Phil

That looks like a couple of high gradient/altitude areas up here in my neck o' tha woods. Tough rocky clear (and pretty high acid) water even when it's not low water. Tough conditions for sure, and not lots of fish there -- you did well not to get skunked.  'c;

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 04, 2022, 08:29:12 AMGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

That little one definitely has more spring in it's step than I do today. 

Quote from: Phil on May 04, 2022, 08:03:11 AMThat looks like a couple of high gradient/altitude areas up here in my neck o' tha woods. Tough rocky clear (and pretty high acid) water even when it's not low water. Tough conditions for sure, and not lots of fish there -- you did well not to get skunked.  'c;

Thanks Phil. I appreciate that insight.
Jeremiah 17:7