Discovery of Endurance -- Shackleton's lost ship!

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 09, 2022, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Scientists have found and filmed one of the greatest ever undiscovered shipwrecks 107 years after it sank.

The Endurance, the lost vessel of Antarctic explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton, was found at the weekend at the bottom of the Weddell Sea.

The ship was crushed by sea-ice and sank in 1915, forcing Shackleton and his men to make an astonishing escape on foot and in small boats.

Video of the remains show Endurance to be in remarkable condition.

Even though it has been sitting in 3km (10,000ft) of water for over a century, it looks just like it did on the November day it went down.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Its timbers, although disrupted, are still very much together, and the name - Endurance - is clearly visible on the stern.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60662541

https://endurance22.org/

Shackleton's Endurance: Modern star maps hint at famous wreck's location

For many, the lost ship of Antarctic explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton is the greatest of all undiscovered wrecks.

In part that's because of the extraordinary story that surrounds the 1915 sinking of the Endurance - an epic tale of 28 men who somehow survived and escaped the calamity of becoming stranded in the frozen wastes of the Weddell Sea.

But the allure also has something to do with the daunting challenge the wreck now presents to anyone who might consider trying to find it.

What remains of the Endurance is 3,000m down in waters that are pretty much permanently covered in thick sea-ice, the same sea-ice that trapped and then ruptured the hull of Shackleton's polar yacht.

You need a good strategy, immense skill and an enormous dollop of good luck just to get near the sinking location. A team of hopefuls is on its way to the Antarctic right now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60352606

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Shackleton's Endurance ship discovery documentary to be shown on Disney Plus, here's when you can watch it

mmediately following the announcement that a team of explorers has - at long last - discovered the incredibly well-preserved remains of Sir Ernest Shackleton's ship, Endurance, National Geographic has revealed that it will be exclusively airing the documentary.

In classic Nat Geo style, the film crew has been working with the explorers since the expedition began, and you'll be able to watch and stream it later this year.

The documentary is part of the company's Explorer series, and is being produced by Little Dot Studios in partnership with ABC News, and will be directed by Natalie Hewit, the director behind Antarctica: Ice Station Rescue and Greta Thunberg: A Year To Change The World.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

Him and his men's survival is epic.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Pretty good show. Lot's of original photos and film footage was shown. I still think it was one of the great feats in modern exploration ever.
― Charles Bukowski