News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Ukraine

Started by Trout Maharishi, February 24, 2022, 05:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

troutboy_II

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 06, 2022, 00:52:38 AMTBII I knew I could count on you. Your words were spoken like a true banker "And I probably can drop or eliminate the interest I'm paying on the deposit and relend it at increasing rates?  Sounds like a win-win for the bank to me." No wonder lawyers and bankers top the least trusted and most hated list. I worked in a Savings and Loan in the early 80 and it was one of the happiest days of my life when they came to me and told me the bank was folding and I would be laid off. I did't wait, I emptied my dest drawers in the trash can and grabed the bottle of Jack Daniels I kept in the bottom destk drawer and never looked back. I want Russia to stop as much as anyone, but we are a nation of laws, and trying to seize the assets in this manner is wrong.  It may not be as easy as some think either. https://slate.com/business/2022/03/seizing-russian-billionaires-yachts-and-penthouses-how-will-biden-do-it.html  A strict energy import embargo could make Russia feel the pain quick and it would be relatively easy to do, but the government seems unwilling to take this step.

Hmmm...

Not sure what you expected. You asked how a bank would react and I told you - banks take deposits and relend them at a spread. Nothing evil about that. Perhaps you don't need to borrow money, but many do and banks provide this service.

Get your head in the game and out of your ass. Think before you speak or suffer the consequence of appearing lead about by your nose by liberal media speak. 

I am really an Independent, but have generally agreed with many of your posts because I almost always come down on the left side of Independent, but a trite recycle of political rhetoric from either side of the aisle is out of place today.  My hope for a coming together against evil (Trump) in our own country came to naught, but I am greatly encouraged by the reaction of the world against Putin.  So, just for a moment, we all need to to think for ourselves, not just follow our left or right programming, and see the world for what it truly is, imperfect but capable of perfection when motivated.  It's unfortunate that it takes a "war" started by a bully to remind us that some things are more important than political theater. Innocent people are dying because of Putin's ego.  And that's just wrong. I hope that the world stays focused on this and puts the programmed political bull shit aside, at least until Putin crawls back to his cave.

I'm not interested in starting a big back and forth about this, but am glad to see our little community seriously discuss this topic.  So, left or right - I don't care - that's what makes our country great, but please consider focusing on the true topic at hand.

And before I forget - fuck Putin!

Om.  Shanti Shanti Shanti

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Trout Maharishi

I wanted a bankers prespective and I got one, thanks! The seizure of money and assets is going to make American investments a hard sale to some countries going forward. On the other hand the mistake you and some of the others here make about me is that you think I'm anti left and pro Trump. I'm anything but that. I am anti politician and big government, and I'm no fan of DJT. His baggage far outweighs his benefits to the party. They are failing us on both sides at every level. Inflation, debt, homelessness, crime, hard drugs, and the southern boarder are out of control and I don't see anyone doing anything about it. We are being ruled not represented. Thank goodness I don't need to borrow money any more, when I did in 2008 the banking system failed me. I have to admit I still hold a grudge aginst the people and the bank involved. Just as well they didn't lend me any money, they failed and were eaten by Wells Fargo. The mistake I made with them was putting all my trust and businees with them and not developing relastionships with another lender, my mistake to have thought that a 15 year history and a couple million would make a difference to them. The whole finical system came within inches of folding about that time and we may not be so lucky in what's coming down the pipe next time. I do agree with you about Putin.  He is pure evil and needs to be stopped. I'm glad some of us are having the conservation as well.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: trout-r-us on March 06, 2022, 09:55:29 AMYou cannot view this attachment.

Funny :cheers  I don't claim to be either. I took the jabs and I have no idea how I would handle any foreign policy. I might have a better idea if I was privileged to see all the information and have a competent team in place around me. Every coin has two sides.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutboy_II on March 06, 2022, 10:50:27 AMHmmm...

Not sure what you expected. You asked how a bank would react and I told you - banks take deposits and relend them at a spread. Nothing evil about that. Perhaps you don't need to borrow money, but many do and banks provide this service.

Get your head in the game and out of your ass. Think before you speak or suffer the consequence of appearing lead about by your nose by liberal media speak. 

I am really an Independent, but have generally agreed with many of your posts because I almost always come down on the left side of Independent, but a trite recycle of political rhetoric from either side of the aisle is out of place today.  My hope for a coming together against evil (Trump) in our own country came to naught, but I am greatly encouraged by the reaction of the world against Putin.  So, just for a moment, we all need to to think for ourselves, not just follow our left or right programming, and see the world for what it truly is, imperfect but capable of perfection when motivated.  It's unfortunate that it takes a "war" started by a bully to remind us that some things are more important than political theater. Innocent people are dying because of Putin's ego.  And that's just wrong. I hope that the world stays focused on this and puts the programmed political bull shit aside, at least until Putin crawls back to his cave.

I'm not interested in starting a big back and forth about this, but am glad to see our little community seriously discuss this topic.  So, left or right - I don't care - that's what makes our country great, but please consider focusing on the true topic at hand.

And before I forget - fuck Putin!

Om.  Shanti Shanti Shanti

TB

I like this post.  I mean I really like this post. 

I agree with most everything you said, except "......... and see the world for what it truly is, imperfect but capable of perfection when motivated."  I do not believe in perfection; it is not attainable.  Perfection is defined and pursued by culture.  From a biological, scientific perspective nothing is perfect (Perfect is akin to the word unnatural. Nothing is unnatural).

If I could give this multiple likes, I would.

Peace, peace, peace, peace to you also.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Russian Internet Takes a Hit as Cogent Disconnects Backbone Network
It's another step toward the "splinternet" that fragments the global communication network.

>>>Cogent Communications told its Russian customers on Friday it's disconnected its high-capacity internet service because of Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the resulting economic punishment much of the rest of the world has begun.

"In light of the unwarranted and unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, Cogent is terminating all of your services effective at 5 PM GMT on March 4, 2022," the US company said in an email to customers, according to network monitoring and analysis firm Kentik. "The economic sanctions put in place as a result of the invasion and the increasingly uncertain security situation make it impossible for Cogent to continue to provide you with service."

https://www.cnet.com/news/russian-internet-takes-a-hit-as-cogent-disconnects-backbone-network/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

troutboy_II

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 07, 2022, 10:53:05 AM<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This, out of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ukraine?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ukraine</a>, is 100% one of the most incredible videos I have ever seen.<br><br>This Russian POW has the heart of a lion &#129409; <a href="https://t.co/KIx1rsN0CZ">pic.twitter.com/KIx1rsN0CZ</a></p>&mdash; Jackie Singh &#127482;&#127462; &#127482;&#127480; (@hackingbutlegal) <a href="https://twitter.com/hackingbutlegal/status/1500465032966062082?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 6, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks for that. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't wonder if the was fictional theater by the Ukraine folks. Amazing that a Russian soldier would say this with family in Russia. If real, wow.  The guy is impressive. Hope it's real.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

Simple way to help
I use BING for my interweb searches... With an MS account you can receive points for each search and for "daily sets" of info and quizzes...
These points can be cashed in for credit to Amazon or donated to charity of your choice.

You cannot view this attachment.
UNITED HELP UKRAINE

I also contribute to Doctors Without Borders.

https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/

me -There's a season?

jwgnc

A man in Moscow buys a newspaper...
glances at the front page, and tosses it away.

He does the same thing every day for a week...
Finally the shop owner inquires:
"Why do you do that?!"
The man replies: "I'm just checking for an obituary."
"But obituaries aren't on the front page!"
"The one I'm looking for will be."
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Trout Maharishi

I wouldn't be shocked to read about an "accident" with polonium. That is some nasty stuff. :P I hope the aid package they signed today helps. I know you mom was Ukrainian but do you still have relatives living in Ukraine that you know of?
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Meanwhile, the decommissioned Chernobyl nuclear site was knocked off the power grid Wednesday and forced to switch onto generators, a worrying new development that raised alarm about the plant's ability to keep its nuclear fuel safely cool.
me -There's a season?

Phil

^^ Some scary shit right there.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Phil on March 09, 2022, 09:26:52 AM^^ Some scary shit right there.

Cooling systems running on backup diesel generators after plant disconnected from power grid by Russian troops. 48 hour fuel supply, when that runs out, things begin to get really really bad.

'Insanity Not to Allow This': Calls for Ceasefire to Repair Chernobyl Power Supply
Ukraine's foreign minister said a ceasefire in the area would "allow repair crews to restore electricity supply" to the Chernobyl plant "as soon as possible."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/03/09/insanity-not-allow-calls-ceasefire-repair-chernobyl-power-supply

me -There's a season?

jwgnc

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 08, 2022, 22:52:10 PMI wouldn't be shocked to read about an "accident" with polonium. That is some nasty stuff. :P I hope the aid package they signed today helps. I know you mom was Ukrainian but do you still have relatives living in Ukraine that you know of?
No relatives that I know of - thanks for asking.  Grandparents were from west of Lviv - came over in 1913.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.