News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Ukraine

Started by Trout Maharishi, February 24, 2022, 05:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout Maharishi

This is going to be a long bloody drawn out conflict. I so dearly hope we do not commit not one asset other than humanitarian aid. American weakness played a part in this invasion. I hope we don't do anything out of stupitity or foolish pride. We are in no danger from Russia. Let them sort their problems out.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on February 24, 2022, 05:21:16 AMThis is going to be a long bloody drawn out conflict. I so dearly hope we do no commit not one asset other than humanitarian aid. American weakness played a part in this invasion. I hope we don't do anything out of stupitity or foolish pride. We are in no danger from Russia. Let them sort their problems out.

Hitler initially did not plan on exterminating 6 million Jews. It was an action that became expedient due to earlier poor choices. Putin has fucked himself, and he too will continue to fuck himself and those around him until he is exterminated. He is now officially a dumbass.

Yes, the US/NATO  broke some consquential ageements as we habitually do, but this is a whole new level of assholery.

troutboy_II

Actually spent two weeks in Ukraine about twenty years ago when youngest son was there for 2.5 years in the Peace Corp. Country was divided back then where Russian was spoken in east and Ukrainian was spoken in the center and western part of the country (and what son learned). We started in Kyiv and wandered around until we wound up in Lviv near the Polish boarder, where he was stationed.   

Something I found interesting was that the folks there were quick to point out that their country had been conquered so many times over the centuries that there wasn't a strong tie to a particular "tribal history" - my words, not their's - to unify around. Perhaps this lack of unification is impacting their response to this. In any event, these were very nice people and I wish them well and hope this doesn't get too hot.

The world deserves better than this. When will we ever learn?    b';

Oh yeah, fuck Putin. Somebody take him down. Please.

TB

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Citizens have removed and changed signs to lead them astray, also.
The Russian tanks, armored transports, et al are turning out to be unmaintained pieces of shit.
Combine that with low moral, poor tactics and shitty logistics.
Determined, prepared, well trained, layered Ukrainian forces are picking them off.
In this smartphone world, every citizen is an intelligence agent supplying long/lat info to the defenders.
Ambushes ensue.
Lets hope somebody restrains Putin from using nukes. Because he is losing. Bigly.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

I fear the Russians may increase the air campaign and start carpet bombing the major cities.  :'(  All the talk about Putin's mental state is concerning. I fear it may be used as an excuse to esclate our involvement.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

The Dude

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on February 28, 2022, 18:42:52 PMI fear the Russians may increase the air campaign and start carpet bombing the major cities.  :'(  All the talk about Putin's mental state is concerning. I fear it may be used as an excuse to esclate our involvement.

When they were talking about freezing the assets of oligarchs loyal to Putin, I thought they were talking about Trump.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Trout Maharishi

I'm not in favor of freezing the assets of any private citizen short of them breaking some international law. Plus American corporations do a lot of business in Russia, are we going to sieze all of their assets as well? The freezing of assets of the wealthy may harm them in the short term but it's the ordinary citizen that's going to suffer the most.
― Charles Bukowski

The Dude

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 01, 2022, 01:21:28 AMI'm not in favor of freezing the assets of any private citizen short of them breaking some international law. Plus American corporations do a lot of business in Russia, are we going to sieze all of their assets as well? The freezing of assets of the wealthy may harm them in the short term but it's the ordinary citizen that's going to suffer the most.

Unfortunately, it's always the normal citizen that suffers most in every scenario.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

troutboy_II

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 01, 2022, 01:21:28 AMI'm not in favor of freezing the assets of any private citizen short of them breaking some international law. Plus American corporations do a lot of business in Russia, are we going to sieze all of their assets as well? The freezing of assets of the wealthy may harm them in the short term but it's the ordinary citizen that's going to suffer the most.

I respect uour right to your position, but do you have a better idea?

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

trout-r-us

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: troutboy_II on March 01, 2022, 10:55:41 AM

TB

I know you have a banking back ground so I'm sure you understand this side better than most. How would you like to be running a large bank with a couple of weathy Russians with billions/millions of dollars in your bank and now all of a sudden the government is telling you to freeze their accounts? I'm not aginst economic sanctions, I'm against the seizure and forfeiture of assests from private individuals. Plus would you want people from those alphabet agencies showing up Monday morning right before you open? I have no idea what to do. I still can't believe Russia is doing this.
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

TB

Let's take his black belt.

https://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putins-black-belt-revoked-international-taekwondo-organization-1683304
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 01, 2022, 17:05:11 PM

TB

Let's take his black belt.

https://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putins-black-belt-revoked-international-taekwondo-organization-1683304

Hell yea! Take it, both his Taekwondo and Judo black belts are honorary anyway.
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Why are we still buying Russian oil?
― Charles Bukowski