Crypto - Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum, etc.

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 15, 2022, 16:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutboy_II

Quote from: FlyChamps on March 14, 2023, 20:08:04 PM
Quote from: troutboy_II on March 14, 2023, 12:03:16 PMPerhaps allowing the community bank definition to include banks up to $250 billion and therefore avoid closer scrutiny and higher capital requirements is a major contributor to this problem.  If this was a $10 billion bank, we would not be having this discussion.

It is not a matter of which regulations the bank falls under but the quality of the OVERSIGHT or in this case the failure of the San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank and any additional regulators to do their oversight job.

Even the bank my money is in is subject to liquidity oversight and its assets are only $1.585B.

This bank failure was the result of bad risk management by the companies that deposited money in SVB, bad risk management by SVB and a total failure of GOVERNMENT to to its oversight function.

More regulation does not prevent problems like astute deposit management by depositors, astute risk management by the bank and functional oversight of existing regulations by competent government agencies.  In this case of SVB all three fucked up. 

The only thing I would add is that many depositors are not competent to risk underwrite their deposit choices. I think that is what regulators should be addressing. My 83 year old sister is a good example. And no, I don't think tough shit if she can't figure it out.

Of course the guvment will fuck it up by over regulating and make it worse, but I digress...  b';
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Big J

Everyone isn't keeping their money in Lead and Brass investments these days? Seems like the only logical investments with the way 2023 is going.

Woolly Bugger

NC pension fund had millions invested in two failed banks. Will it get the money back?

Like companies across the state, North Carolina's pension fund had millions of dollars invested in two recently failed banks.

The North Carolina Retirement System had $10.1 million in Silicon Valley Bank stock and another $7.8 million in Signature Bank stock, the Department of State Treasurer confirmed Wednesday. Bank runs contributed to the collapses of Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) on Friday and Signature on Sunday.

While the combined $17.9 million investments represent a sliver of the state's overall retirement system value, Treasury spokesperson Frank Lester said "we are unsure at this time" if the money will be recovered.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article273181700.html

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

He lost $340,000 to a crypto scam. Such cases are on the rise

Naum Lantsman was sure his cryptocurrency investments were making money. Every time he'd log on to the trading platform he was using, it looked like he was reaping windfall profits. But Lantsman, in fact, was one of a growing number of people who've fallen victim to cryptocurrency scams.

https://stocks.apple.com/AkIiQHMTjTeqqSH2HF70wWg

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

It appears that the Non-Fungible Tokens of a couple years ago have for the most part gone the way of the Dodo Bird.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/nfts-worthless-researchers-find-1234828767/

BUT:
In an effort to make NFT's Great Again, Trumpsky is offering a golden (more like orange) opportunity for his fervent supporters.
Though many consider trump to be a jackass, where does that leave those that are actually stupid enough to support this bum?

https://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-sells-cut-pieces-113322716.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus