News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Nils Lofgren, Joe Rogan, and Spotify....

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 30, 2022, 09:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will musicians pulling their songs from Spotify Streaming have any impact on them capitalizing on Joe Rogan's podcast?

Neil, Joni, & Nils ... who?
2 (12.5%)
only if major current artists, like Taylor Swift,  join the boycott,
1 (6.3%)
Joe who?
2 (12.5%)
what is spotify? and why do I care.?
9 (56.3%)
one time at bandcamp I got some spots..
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

Spotify stock struggles with the announcement of artists pulling their music catalogs from the streaming platform over Joe Rogan's podcast that has disseminated controversial information about Covid Vaccines and treatments.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/01/30/spotify-protest-nils-lofgren-neil-young-joe-rogan/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Neil Young - Rockin' In The Free World - SNL rehearsal - 1989
Spotify ranking #782   Neil Young
Neil Percival Young  (born November 12, 1945) is a Canadian-American singer, musician and songwriter. After embarking on a music career in Winnipeg in the 1960s, Young moved to Los Angeles, joining Buffalo Springfield with Stephen Stills, Richie Furay and others. Since the beginning of his solo career with his backing band Crazy Horse, Young has released many critically acclaimed and important albums, such as Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, Harvest, On The Beach and Rust Never Sleeps. He was a part-time member of Crosby, Stills & Nash.

Joni Mitchell - Coyote (Live at Gordon Lightfoot's Home with Bob Dylan & Roger McGuinn, 1975)
Spotify ranking; not on top 1,000

Roberta Joan "Joni" Mitchell CC (née Anderson; born November 7, 1943) is a Canadian singer-songwriter and painter. Drawing from folk, pop, rock, classical, and jazz, Mitchell's songs often reflect on social and philosophical ideals as well as her feelings about romance, womanhood, disillusionment and joy. She has received many accolades, including nine Grammy Awards and induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. Rolling Stone called her "one of the greatest songwriters ever", and AllMusic has stated, "When the dust settles, Joni Mitchell may stand as the most important and influential female recording artist of the late 20th century".

NILS LOFGREN - Back It Up (1975 UK TV Appearance)
Spotify ranking; not on top 1,000

Nils Hilmer Lofgren (born June 21, 1951)[1] is an American rock musician, recording artist, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. Along with his work as a solo artist, he has been a member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band since 1984, a member of Crazy Horse, and founder/frontman of the band Grin. Lofgren was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the E Street Band in 2014.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Here is an interesting article on music licensing agreements and why many musicians don't own the rights to their music.

https://fortune.com/2022/01/27/neil-young-couldnt-remove-music-from-spotify-alone-music-label-heres-why/

>>>Many artists don't own the rights to their songs
Young is far from the only artist to negotiate with their record label over how their music is used, as many musicians who get drawn into lucrative record deals early in their career never have a chance to own their rights at all.

Prince, another artist associated with Warner Brothers, was famously involved in a decades-long battle with his record company over the ownership rights of his music. 

When a musician makes a deal with a record company, it usually means that any licensing agreement, such as the one between Young's label and Spotify, cannot be undone by the artist alone, because they are no longer in full control of their music.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Top Spotify Artist (in case you were interested

You cannot view this attachment.

https://chartmasters.org/most-streamed-artists-ever-on-spotify/

spotify's main demographic is users between 18 and 34 years old.
In 2017, the average monthly time spent listening to Spotify content was 25 hours.
People around the world spent 40.3 billion hours listening to Spotify in 2017.
On average, 146.19 minutes were spent by paid users in the US listening to Spotify as of June 2019.
Free users spent 127.7 minutes using Spotify.
Spotify is one of the most popular mobile apps in the US.
52% of its users like to listen to Spotify using mobile phones and tablets.
me -There's a season?

Mr. Don

I loaded Spotify on the TV so I could watch Rogan. You can tell Young is fulla shit and has never watched an episode cause Rogan  ain't a right winger.
The faster we go the rounder we get.

Woolly Bugger

Joe Rogan says he'll do better research on covid, give listeners opposing views: 'I don't always get it right'

>>>As a growing number of musicians yanked their work from the streaming service Spotify over misinformation about coronavirus vaccines, podcaster Joe Rogan posted a video this weekend admitting he could do more to better inform his millions of listeners, particularly when it comes to covid.

Rogan, in a nearly 10-minute video Sunday night on Instagram, said he'll make two changes to his show, "The Joe Rogan Experience," to accomplish that. The first: have mainstream experts give their viewpoints after guests espousing more fringe opinions.

The second: "do my best to make sure that I've researched these topics — the controversial ones in particular — and have all the pertinent facts at hand before I discuss them."

"I don't always get it right," he said.

Rogan's comments came amid a firestorm after hundreds of medical professionals called out Spotify earlier this month for letting the podcaster spread "false and societally harmful assertions" about the virus and vaccines, The Washington Post reported. Then, starting with folk rocker Neil Young a week ago, a growing number of artists and podcasters told the streaming service they would take their work off Spotify if the company did not stop Rogan from spreading misinformation on the coronavirus.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/joe-rogan-says-he-ll-do-better-research-on-covid-give-listeners-opposing-views-i-don-t-always-get-it-right/ar-AATjY3J?ocid=msedgntp

Spotify responds after Joni Mitchell and others join Neil Young and demand the platform remove their content

>>>Spotify broke its silence on Sunday and announced slight changes to its policies around content concerning covid-19, after facing a week of criticism for allowing its creators — particularly podcaster Joe Rogan — to spread misinformation about the pandemic.

"You've had a lot of questions over the last few days about our platform policies and the lines we have drawn between what is acceptable and what is not," Spotify CEO Daniel Ek wrote in a news release. "We have had rules in place for many years but admittedly, we haven't been transparent around the policies that guide our content more broadly."

The new changes include publicly publishing the company's internal rules for what is allowed on the platform, "testing ways to highlight" those rules to its creators and "working to add a content advisory to any podcast episode that includes a discussion about COVID-19."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/01/30/spotify-young-mitchell-rogan-policy/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Joe Rogan apologized to Spotify and half-apologized to Neil Young and Joni Mitchell in a row over COVID-19 misinformation

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZYQ_nDJi6G/

why exactly is this guy so popular?
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 31, 2022, 10:46:55 AMwhy exactly is this guy so popular?

Popular?

I forgot who he is/was.  I hope he gave Tyrone Biggums his $50,000.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Beetle

Trout Maharishi

Spotify paid Rogan $100 million for exclusive rights to his podcast. Spotify is a tech company not a music company, the music divison of the company isn't making any money. Pod cast are the moneymaker for them. I don't understand what leverage Young and Joni think they have? I seriously doubt either one of them is giving up much. Whoever has the rights to their music gets paid first and then they get paid. I like most of Rogan's pod cast. I never liked Neil anyway, Joni was OK, now both of them are like me, just another quirky old coot. :laugh:  He has an interesting cross section of people. I don't know why people don't like him? He basically lets whoever wants to come on say what ever they want. Watch the interview with Jack Dorsey and his lawyer from Twitter. He definitely isn't my idea of a right wing personality. If you don't like him don't listen to him, he's still getting paid.  <-;:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Dougfish

But John,
I hold mean economic grudges/boycotts.

Exxon. 33 years and counting.
Walmart. 23 years and counting.
BP. 12 years and counting.
Orvis fly lines. 8 years and counting.  :laugh:
Capital One. 4 months and counting.
Spotify. 2 weeks and counting.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

No windbag is worth that much. Not Stern, Limbaugh, or Rogan. Plumbers are worth much more.

Onslow

May I suggest we all go on hunger strikes to protest all perceived slights, injustice, and discomfort.  And this whole free speech thing is offensive.  May we all die of hunger.

Woolly Bugger

Another old codger rocker has asked for his music to be deleted from Spotify

>>> Graham Nash wants Spotify to Teach our children facts, not lies. The Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young singer has joined Neil Young in asking Spotify to remove his songs from their service.

Nash is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, famous and influential for his work with CSNY and with the Hollies. He is a staunch advocate of truth telling, and one of rock's steady voices for truth.

By the way, David Crosby has sided with Young as well. He has said on Twitter that if he controlled his catalog he'd remove it from Spotify, as well. But Crosby sold the rights last year and has no say about his Spotify participation.

Stephen Stills, we're waiting. Jackson Browne, too.

Again, all of this is over Joe Rogan's anti-vax and anti-science rantings on his Spotify podcast.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2022/02/01/spotify-problems-grow-as-neil-youngs-band-partner-graham-nash-asks-for-removal-of-songs

me -There's a season?