News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Alaska

Started by JCB3, July 25, 2023, 01:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCB3

I'll be in Valdez, AK for a week. Anyone aware of spots? Flies? Etc.........!!?? Thanks!!!

Aka

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: JCB3 on July 26, 2023, 17:50:52 PMI'm here now

Quote from: Aka on July 26, 2023, 14:38:10 PMWhen?

What's running now? Pinks, Silvers?

Pink Leaches?

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

Doesn't much matter what your throwing right now what's more important is how you're retrieving. Streams should be filled with sockeye and they don't eat or bite once the leave the salt and head in-river. Watch a few youtube videos on "flossing salmon" to figure out how to induce a "bite". Just remember, they still have to be hooked in the mouth to be legal.

Alaska doesn't play by Orvis' rules, so if you're a purist and can't rationalize snagging a fish in the mouth, that by no other means could be caught by rod & reel, you're out of luck when it comes to sockeye.

Not sure if there is anywhere around Valdez for sockeye but I'm guessing you will have to travel to find them. Once the silvers start running you can fish them right from the beach there in Valdez. They should start showing up in a month or so & they will absolutely hammer a fly.

Edit. there might be some pinks around but meh...

JCB3

So..... The kids landed 3 pinks today. Thanks so much for the help AKA.

If if knew how to load photos I would.  :P 

trout-r-us

Quote from: JCB3 on July 30, 2023, 07:01:22 AMSo..... The kids landed 3 pinks today. Thanks so much for the help AKA.

If if knew how to load photos I would.  :P 

Though some of the PSB's may look down their noses at the Humpies, I'm sure your kids were thrilled to land a few. Good job!
If you choose rivers with lakes, you may find some Reds. If ya find any, go with real small sparsely dressed streamers. Some rivers they'll take it if placed right on their nose, and some rivers they don't. Fresher the fish the better.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

To post photos, make sure you hit REPLY to open the field and you will see "click or drag files here to attach them". If you use the "quick reply" box, you won't see the post photo option.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

JCB3

3 of the 5

You cannot view this attachment.