As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Dylan may pay off

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, January 23, 2022, 18:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Trout Maharishi

I don't know if I would admit to owning a Bob Dylan album or not. :laugh:  :drum
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I've seen him 5 times live.  Just recorded The Last Waltz where he and other greats performed with The Band.  I even enjoy his music after he found religion.

I sang Oxford Town to my son as a lullaby and have taught my 3-year-old grandson the first verse.  I enjoy Bob's stuff.

Trout Maharishi

He was at his best with the Band covering up his mumbling. :laugh: I know lots of people like him. He's like the Greatful Dead to me, lot's of people like them, but no thanks for me. 
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on January 23, 2022, 19:28:49 PMI know lots of people like him. He's like the Greatful Dead to me, lot's of people like them, but no thanks for me.

I feel the same about Elvis, The Beatles, The Eagles, and a few more. No thanks.  Currently Chris Stapleton, Lord Huron, and Tyler Childers flip my cookie. 

Woolly Bugger

Beat Dylan song period

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

I remember reading once that Hendricks used Dylan as a motivator to start singing. Jimi said hey if he can sing and sound that bad and be sucessful, why not me.
― Charles Bukowski

trout-r-us

I always liked what he had to say and how he wasn't afraid to say it.

"..... Bob Dylan was named the winner of the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature, becoming the first musician to earn the honor. According to the Nobel Committee, Dylan was selected "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

https://news.northeastern.edu/2016/10/20/bob-dylan-a-singular-phenomenon-and-now-a-nobel-laureate/
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 24, 2022, 10:18:20 AMI always liked what he had to say and how he wasn't afraid to say it.

Yes, the beauty of many of Dylan's songs is trying to interpret what he is trying to say.  Often it is a challenge where you must dig deep in the innards of your imagination, and even then, you have no idea if you are even close. 

Surely some of you can appreciate the task of perched around a campfire, drunk or stoned or both, listening to Dylan attempting to understand and clarify the meaning of his words.  Those were the days!!!!  Damn, I feel old!!!

Trout Maharishi

He was a great song writer and lyricists.
― Charles Bukowski

trout-r-us

Recently watched this old documentary on Netflix. Interesting stuff for Dylan fans, directed by Scorsese circa 2005.

"No Direction Home: Bob Dylan" on Netflix

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Onslow

For deep water swimmers only.  Dylan is kiddy pool.

Pansyman

I'll pay any one person one shiny, new nickel for each lyric he or she or it can understand when Dylan comes to The Tivoli in Chattanooga next month.  ( I won't be out more than $1.55
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on January 23, 2022, 19:28:49 PMHe was at his best with the Band covering up his mumbling. :laugh: I know lots of people like him. He's like the Greatful Dead to me, lot's of people like them, but no thanks for me. 
Yep. Dylan is (was) a sometimes brilliant songwriter, and a horrible, awful singer. The Dead were the most overrated sloppy garage band on the planet, never understood why people liked them so much.

Bob's main use has always been to write good songs for more interesting people to perform, like this:

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!