News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Be careful out there

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 05, 2021, 18:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Friday the 13th on top of a mountain in a thunder storm, oh my.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Pilot Mountain State Park climbing accident results in a woman's death after falling 90 feet
Rescue personnel attempted to save her, but due to her severe injuries, she died at the scene.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/woman-killed-in-90-foot-fall-at-pilot-mountain-state-park/

>>>Awoman died Monday afternoon after she fell 90 feet at Pilot Mountain State Park, according to officials with the N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation.

The woman was with another person who was nearby when she fell, according to Katie Hall, the public information officer for state parks. A ranger who was also nearby and attending a workshop was able to make it to the woman within minutes and began administering CPR, Hall said.

About five minutes after the ranger started his lifesaving efforts, Hall said, paramedics arrived on the scene. Lifesaving efforts were unsuccessful and the woman died at the scene of her fall, Hall said.

"She fell from the top of the climbing route below the parking lot overlook," Hall said. "These are some of the tallest climbing routes."

https://journalnow.com/news/local/woman-dies-in-fall-at-pilot-mountain-state-park/article_b4054af8-0470-11ec-afdb-276424fe26c0.html
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

Awful :'(  I think she made some kind of terrible mistake. I hope she wasn't climbing without a rope.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 24, 2021, 17:06:09 PMAwful :'(  I think she made some kind of terrible mistake. I hope she wasn't climbing without a rope.
Yet, we can't legally drive without a seat belt. Climb cliffs without a rope all you want.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 24, 2021, 17:44:48 PM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 24, 2021, 17:06:09 PMAwful :'(  I think she made some kind of terrible mistake. I hope she wasn't climbing without a rope.
Yet, we can't legally drive without a seat belt. Climb cliffs without a rope all you want.

My fear is everytime something like this happens I'm afraid other rock climbers will no longer be allowed access. For years any climbing on the main Pinnacle at Pilot Mt was a no go, and I bet it was because of tragic events like this. You could climb on the rock wall beneath the upper parking lot where I believe this accident happened. I've know 5 climbers to die while climbing, 3 were soloing with no rope. Every year the American Alpine Club publishes it's accidents in North America, without fail numerous ones now days are climbing with out a rope. Alex Honnold is next :-\ n The National Geographic special of him soloing El Cap made my palms sweat.
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Family of 5 with 9-month-old survive night on Yadkin River after troubles tubing

There have been several incidents of people in need of rescue while tubing on local rivers, and the incidents have been reported more than usual this summer.

One this weekend involved a family of five stranded overnight on the Yadkin River. The mother clung to a tree and held her 9-month daughter while in the river through the night.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/family-of-5-with-9-month-old-survive-night-on-yadkin-river-after-troubles-tubing?utm_source=wghp_app&utm_medium=social&utm_content=share-link
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 18, 2023, 07:19:59 AMFamily of 5 with 9-month-old survive night on Yadkin River after troubles tubing

There have been several incidents of people in need of rescue while tubing on local rivers, and the incidents have been reported more than usual this summer.

One this weekend involved a family of five stranded overnight on the Yadkin River. The mother clung to a tree and held her 9-month daughter while in the river through the night.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/family-of-5-with-9-month-old-survive-night-on-yadkin-river-after-troubles-tubing?utm_source=wghp_app&utm_medium=social&utm_content=share-link

The Yadkin river is not safe for tubing unless the water levels are very low. The river between Kerr Scott and Rockford is general narrow for its flow, and swift. The banks are lined with deadfalls.  IMO, proprietors that provide tubing services on the Yadkin are idiots as well as the insurance providers.

Ideal fishing level is 600 cfs at Elkin.  850 is on the upper end.  This is why I only fish this river a few days a year. At 1500 cfs, the current is moving at least 3 feet per second.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006