News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

St Criox or TFO ?

Started by Fire-Fly, July 11, 2006, 17:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

I currently have a 6 weight st croix avid 9 ft, 4 pc, it is about 5 years old and i like the rod but it feels heavy, and after a day of small mouth fishing my wrist is very tired. I am looking at the new st criox 9 ft 6 wt 4 pc avid , and i am wonderig if anyone has one and could tell me if they like it if it feels lite and responsive. I am also considering a new TFO 9 ft 6wt 4 pc TiCr X rod and would like to get some input on it as well. I am lookinf for a fast action rod to fish for smalls with, but i would like something that is lite and cast bass flies without having to force the rod.

larrybug

good luck on matching all those factors.   you know it depends on your style of casting and what bugs you like.  casting sitting in a boat can be very different than casting standing up and require a very differnt rod.  also  i have noticed in teaching flyfishing schools that even identically marked rods bought at the same time can be very different sometimes even a different size line is required to match the otherwise same rods..  i would try differnt lines on my rods before i went out and bought a new magic rod.  ( i have to admit i am 54 and have 26 flyrods .... so what do i know)

phg

This topic has been beat to death both here and on SEFFF.  If you have never tried a TFO rod, you'll be amazed at how good it is for the price.  It compares favorably with rods costing 2 to 3 times as much.  That said, one size does not fit all, and the TFO may not suit you.  You really need to try it out.

Personally, I have a 9'6wt TFO Pro Series for my bass rod, and am very satisfied.

Woolly Bugger

Go to a QUALITY fly shop and try out the different rods you are interested, they SHOULD let you cast them with a reel and fly line!

If you already have the reel and line that you are thinking about using bring it along...

Another thing to think about is if your current outfit is balanced is the reel the right size/weight for the rod?

My arm gets tired casting a sink tip or dealing with a full sinking line and I don't think that changing rods would help that situation at all.....

You also might want to have someone (FFF Casting Instructor) check you casting if you wrist is hurting you may not be casting efficiently!

Proper haul techniques can help a lot too!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout_boy_II

All the above, plus - if you want a faster rod and think you like St. Croix service, reputation, quality, where built, etc., look around for a Legend Ultra on sale.  I've seen a number of them at various shops on the web.  Champions comes to mind, for example, but there have been others as well.

I can't promise you'll find one out there on sale, but an excelent rod.

TB

badankles

Quote from: larrybug on July 11, 2006, 20:45:07 PM
...and have 26 flyrods ....

:o :o :o :o that's prob more than some actual retail store.   how can you decide which to leave home?   ;D
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...