News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

I Wanted 'Nokies

Started by Onslow, July 17, 2021, 16:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Wild blackberry muffins w/ streusel is the food of the gods.

You cannot view this attachment.

Nokies are the brook trout of the NC Piedmont, inhabiting streams that are pleasing to the eye.

Caleb and I started late. We could've stopped at an infamous carp beat on the way, but I haven't caught a Roanoke bass in 15 years. Lots of driving and a little fishing.

We started in a slack rocky pool near the bridge that looked fishy that ran .3 of a mile.  Labored an hour with nothing to show.  Footpaths had been carved through the woods in various locations. Perhaps pressure was a factor.  Downstream was guarded by dense rock gardens, and long runs of rapids. Flanked a section and ended up in a nice run.  Score!

Cool looking damsel fly

St. Johns-Wort?

Garden harvesting, honey extracting, wild berry picking has been keeping me busy.  13 5 gallon buckets of taters in the crawl space. Growing Pearl, Kennebec, Red Pontiac, and Peruvian Blue.  The PB is the largest I've ever harvested.

driver

Ken, can I move in with you when the zombie apocalypse comes?

Yallerhammer

Looks like a good day! I've never caught a Roanoake, but they look about identical to the rock bass we have up here.

And those Kennebecs are hands-down my all-around favorite tater. They keep good, too.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff