News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

The Gunpowder in MD

Started by tw5270, July 10, 2006, 09:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw5270

After a 5 am wake up I was heading up the Baltimore beltway to meet a friend named Mike (aka Heero) from another FF board for a day on the Gunpowder. The river is known for its wild brown population, but I learned today it has more than it's share of interesting quarry.

We met up at a gas station and headed to river. After trying to keep up with a flying Jetta in my minivan I was wondering if I would get there alive.

We arrived at the parking area to find two cars there. No matter, plenty of water down below. I geared up (wearing waders that are toooooo small, I ripped my regular ones yesterday) We started the walk down, I mentioned that this steep hill was going to make an interesting exit, unfortunately I was right.

Arriving on the river I immediately realized Mike was going to be a gentleman guide and point me to the right holes, the right fish and the right flies. We started streamer fishing and within a few casts Mike landed the first.

I missed my first few strikes, as we worked our way upstream. Mike landed another.

When we settled on a pool near the Damn he pointed me to the hole and let me have at it.
I missed two more.....

Mike had no problems and landed a few around me while I continued to make myself look bad.

I finally got the skunk off and landed a small wild brown. (the picture is not to good)

We worked our way back toward the cars and found a nice little spot with a riffle in the middle and some slack water with fish rising near the bank. We each picked up a few more, and the day was turning out good when things got strange...

As Mike stood there watching a small beetle drift back over a few browns he called out " Hey look at this..." I looked down and saw.... A good size Largemouth cruising up the lane. As soon as we realized what he was, he turned and sipped in that beetle like a midge feeding trout. The fight was on. Mike armed with a beautiful Payne clone Boo 4wt against a 3 lb (my estimate, and I am no Bass pro) Largemouth.

I grabbed his net and went in trying to get this guy in the net was a trick, I had left my polarized specs in the car and was looking down at glare.
Eventually he was netted...

After watching that fun I was determined to catch the large Carp we had seen cruising among our trout.
It was not to be, I wasted 30 minutes throwing stuff at him when he popped out and the closest I got was close inspection.

We climbed up that hill, taking a few breaks because I am out of shape, and headed off to a small tributary that holds little a population of wild browns.

All in all a fun day and a new river for me to go back too, Thanks Mike, I really had fun.

FT

Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

larrybug

great picts  i wish i was there

Woolly Bugger

I've always wondered about the Gunpower and now we know a little bit more about it....

Thanks and glad you got some quality time on the river...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!